Rain sensing wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgrigsby

Reaction score
I've read the threads that pertain to this but can't decipher exactly where the sensor is. I'd it the clear plastic on the back of the rear view mirror? Mine didn't work in the rain on the interstate Sunday. I have a toll pass mounted up high but even when I moved it they still didn't work.

Thanks,

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re in the right spot...it is in the plastic housing for the rear view mirror.

A couple of things to check:
1) Are your wipers set to “rain sensing mode”? There’s a setting in the gauge cluster (vehicle, advanced setting, I think) where you can choose whether the wipers function as rain sensing or normal.
2) Are they turned on properly (silly, I know)? On the stalk, make sure they are turned to AUTO and maybe adjust the sensitivity using the stalk as well.
3) If all else fails, take it in to the dealer. My sensor had come unattached from the windshield at some point between manufacture and delivery. It wasn’t visibly hanging down or anything, so it wasn’t obvious, it had just come unglued from the glass within the housing. It was a quick fix.

OP
OP
C

cgrigsby

Reaction score
Yeah, everything is selected right. When I go to the first notch I get a wipe and every time I select another notch I get a wipe but never got one without changing notches. Low and high worked fine of course.

Chuck

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, everything is selected right. When I go to the first notch I get a wipe and every time I select another notch I get a wipe but never got one without changing notches. Low and high worked fine of course.

Chuck

You’re describing the way mine worked (or didn’t work) before I got my sensor fixed. I’d take it in and have the service folks look at it. I’ll bet you 1 fake dollar there’s a problem with the sensor; perhaps it’s as simple as mine was and they just have to reattach the sensor to the glass.

It may be something you could do on your own (open the plastic housing around the base of the rear view and see if there’s something that looks like it should be attached to the windshield that isn’t), but I was not going to start taking my $80k vehicle apart two weeks after I bought it.

Plati

Reaction score
Mine worked like that too. Took it to dealer and they said bad sensor function due to "windshield had been placed". $300 to fix but it was worth it to have wipers.

EDIT
REPLACED, not placed ... dang spaillchek!
The previous owner may have replaced it or the dealer made that up, hard to tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cgrigsby

Reaction score
I assume you meant windshield was replaced? As in it cracked and you had it replaced?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

cgrigsby

Reaction score
Got it working. Was driving in the rain and hit the housing with my hand just for the heck of it and whaddya know, it started working. Took the housing off and sure enough, the clip disengaged and the sensor was out of place. Pushed it in and now it works great.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Chuck

Last edited:

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm glad it's working for you now. Mine work inconsistently and I have a little rattle from that area. How do you take the housing off? Just pull and it pops off?

OP
OP
C

cgrigsby

Reaction score
Yup, just pull down from the back/closest to you area, then move around the edges. There’s 4 clips holding it in. The sensor has metal clips holding it on the windshield. Push on the clip, you gotta do it fairly firmly to get it to engage. Good luck.

Chuck