Rattling, diesel noise when in motion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try cutting the A/C off when you hear the noise to see what happens.

Billski81

Reaction score
I had a similar sound with my 07 4Wd. It was the vacuum solenoid located on the passenger side of the fan shroud. 4wd was trying to kick in with loss of vacuum. Replaced the solenoid and no more sound. 20 dollar part and 5 minutes of work.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a similar sound with my 07 4Wd. It was the vacuum solenoid located on the passenger side of the fan shroud. 4wd was trying to kick in with loss of vacuum. Replaced the solenoid and no more sound. 20 dollar part and 5 minutes of work.

@Franklin Jones Did anyone cycle thru 4X2 4X4H and 4X4L after the transfer case and differentials fluids were changed?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those always go bad on the 3/4 ton Superdutys, Ex's etc also.

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
So, got it back from the mechanic (same one who did the previous work) and the only thing out of the ordinary was...

... the vacuum line to the passenger hub was disconnected.

After swearing that “that shouldn’t make that noise”, reconnecting the vacuum line and going on a 30 min test drive *with the mechanic riding shotgun* there was no sound.

So, I’ll take it on a long drive in the next few days just to be sure, but I’m going to say problem solved.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, got it back from the mechanic (same one who did the previous work) and the only thing out of the ordinary was...

... the vacuum line to the passenger hub was disconnected.

After swearing that “that shouldn’t make that noise”, reconnecting the vacuum line and going on a 30 min test drive *with the mechanic riding shotgun* there was no sound.

So, I’ll take it on a long drive in the next few days just to be sure, but I’m going to say problem solved.
Glad it was something simple. Always double check the obvious and simple causes of a problem because the answer is usually lying there regardless of all the over thinking going on.

OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Glad it was something simple. Always double check the obvious and simple causes of a problem because the answer is usually lying there regardless of all the over thinking going on.
Yeah. But now I think I’ve toasted my new IWEs with all the noise and trying to track it down. It behaved a little weird in 4x4 tonight (but roads were dry anyway)

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lot's of things can make noise and it's pretty hard to diagnose it without being there, and hard enough when you are there unless you are an experienced mechanic.