Rattling Noise from Driver-Side Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, but finally had the chance to spend some time looking for the culprit last week.

As it turns out, the rattling noises were coming from the actual door lock mechanism on the doors - the piece that locks the door to the truck body. Looks like who ever owned the truck before me loved to SLAM doors. The impact absorption piece inside locking mechanism were crushed on all 4 doors, but mostly on the drivers side rear door - thus the sensation of the door being open when driving.

I'm not going to replace all 4 door locks; so the poor mans fix was to use a little bit of electrical tape around the metal anchors on the chassis to compensate for the crushed absorption piece.

Truck runs like new and reduced the interior cabin noise by 1000%. I'm yet to hear a rattle and the truck "feels" solid now.

I had the same exact issue with my Expedition. Except it was on the passenger side. I bought the truck and as I was driving home kept hearing a rattling sound. Pulled panel off and determined it to be the door lock lever. I used a thick piece of vacuum hose and stuck it in the round opening of the actual door and the lock going through it. Took care of the problem. I wonder how long the previous owner had to deal with that.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I had the same noise on the Passenger door. I took and adjusted the black striker on the B-pillar,just a little in and up. That fixed two problems. The squeak is gone,and now my door lines up perfectly. I can't stand a noise that had that sound,like finger nails on a chalk board

Rickster

Reaction score
Big thanks to those that figured out it was the door striker. Amazing how quiet it is inside after installing fifty cents worth of electrical tape. :)