Real world differences between the Limited and Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You get more double takes from the soccer moms in a platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaHa!!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tim5055

Reaction score
As I feared, it would, it has a mind of its own and will frequently open on its own initiative. I have learned not to get the key within 3’ of any door for about 10 seconds after getting out of the truck or, sometimes the rear door will pop up.

FYI, I had a Platinum Max and did not like the rear hatch sensitivity either so I searched YouTube for a video on how to remove antenna, it was like 5 min. no error codes and solved the issue entirely.

Ford issued a Technical Service Bulletin for this issue in May 2019. Sadly, many dealers don't search for the source of problems when customers complain.

TSB 19-2162 Power Liftgate Opens And/Or Closes Uncommanded While In Park

Models:
  • 2018-2019 Expedition Limited
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX Limited
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX Platinum
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX SSV
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX XL
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX XLT
  • 2018-2019 Expedition Platinum
  • 2018-2019 Expedition SSV
  • 2018-2019 Expedition XL
  • 2018-2019 Expedition XLT

Basically they add a new ground for the control box and it fixes the issue.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/19-2162

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my case the dealers were very very happy to deal on a platinum given they sell far far fewer of those than the Loaded limiteds primarily due to the sticker shock.

My Platinum with heavy tow pack was $72k after negotiating and getting Fords Don’t finance we’ll give you money not to finance.
The appearance package stuff Ford is doing is kinda lipstick on a pig thing not my style to pay for that nonsense. I wanted the heavy tow pack 2spd transfer case and locking rear diff. The Platinum was the easiest to get and biggest drop off sticker so easy decision on my part.

11,000 miles I really like it. Former 25yr Toyota and Subaru owner I sold two cars my Toyota and my Subaru. The expedition out performs both. I’m not into the bling look at me stuff so thats the one negative on the Platinum but its a Ford. In a yr or two it won’t matter

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
We've been looking at 2020 Expeditions and my wife really likes the look of the Stealth package on the Limited. This is not available on the Platinum. How big a difference does the extra HP and torque make for the Platinum? And is the active sound cancelling on the Platinum noticeable? Are there any other factors to take into account?

Thanks!

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
I purchased a2019 Limited with 35,000 miles on it for $30,000.00 for my Limo business. New the vehicle was $65,350.00. It’s a very nicely equipped vehicle! Oh yes! The platinum would have been nice for my EGO, but at some point are the upgrades really worth the money? I considered an Escalade too? For $30,000.00 this vehicle is fine! My clients love it and always ask me what it is? If you really want to go BIG? The Lincoln Navigator “Black Lable” edition is drop dead gorgeous, but at a price tag of $108,000.00 Navs & Expos are the same platform, with different engine options, sheet metal, front and rear trim decor, and interior differences in seating, dash, etc! So I suppose it boils down to how much money you want to pay per mile to drive any vehicle for that matter?

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford issued a Technical Service Bulletin for this issue in May 2019. Sadly, many dealers don't search for the source of problems when customers complain.

TSB 19-2162 Power Liftgate Opens And/Or Closes Uncommanded While In Park

Models:
  • 2018-2019 Expedition Limited
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX Limited
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX Platinum
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX SSV
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX XL
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX XLT
  • 2018-2019 Expedition Platinum
  • 2018-2019 Expedition SSV
  • 2018-2019 Expedition XL
  • 2018-2019 Expedition XLT

Basically they add a new ground for the control box and it fixes the issue.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/19-2162

thanks.

MickeyP

Reaction score
we love our Limited Stealth with 4 wheel drive it is maxed out just does not have massage seats as my wife doesn't care for it anyway. I have that in my 2019 F250 Limited longed and hardly use it.
love the stealth look. its pretty cool driving down the left lane and cars think its a cop and move over lol.
what's missing in my Exp is
trailer back up knob (I don't need it)
massage seats (wife doesn't use it)
All passenger seat belt warning ( Picture pops on the Odo screen indicating which kid is not wearing the seatbelt) would love this feature hopefully FORScan coding can activate it will research
lower Horse power (We don't need it)

that's all I can think of as far as the difference between the Platinum and Limited go We test drove the Platinum and had it as a loaner until our 4 wheel drive arrived.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we love our Limited Stealth with 4 wheel drive it is maxed out just does not have massage seats as my wife doesn't care for it anyway. I have that in my 2019 F250 Limited longed and hardly use it.
love the stealth look. its pretty cool driving down the left lane and cars think its a cop and move over lol.
what's missing in my Exp is
trailer back up knob (I don't need it)
massage seats (wife doesn't use it)
All passenger seat belt warning ( Picture pops on the Odo screen indicating which kid is not wearing the seatbelt) would love this feature hopefully FORScan coding can activate it will research
lower Horse power (We don't need it)

that's all I can think of as far as the difference between the Platinum and Limited go We test drove the Platinum and had it as a loaner until our 4 wheel drive arrived.

The trailer backup knob comes with the HD Tow package. That is an available option on the Limited. My 2019 Stealth has that knob. I've just never programmed it. My wife wants to learn to drive and backup with the camper this year, so I may set it up for her. I've been hauling trailers and backing them up for 30+ years now. I'm one of those old timers who think that level of technology is just silly. ;)

Not sure what year yours is, but I thought the seatbelt indicator on the cluster had numbers. It is usually just me and my wife and the dogs. Rarely do the kids come along anymore (they are 17 and 19).