Real World Service Intervals vs manual 2017 3.5L ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry Fuller

Reaction score
I recall a thread on this but can'tseem to find it. What the consensus on plugs, and other other maintence items?
manual says 100k on most but i recall 60k was perhaps the consensus?
please weigh in experienced owners.
thx
Larry in Reno

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was getting stumbles at 95K. I've heard anecdotally that 60K is a reasonable interval for plugs. Link below to recommendations from a popular Ford tech.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recall a thread on this but can'tseem to find it. What the consensus on plugs, and other other maintence items?
manual says 100k on most but i recall 60k was perhaps the consensus?
please weigh in experienced owners.
thx
Larry in Reno
My real world

2016 expedition EL platinum 4x4 HD tow, 3” lift 35s and tuned on e30

oil- full synthetic since day 1, every 7500

plugs- every 30000 now that I’m tuned, I run step colder sp542s for my e30 tune and 93 tunes

other fluids Like trans and differential (supposedly lifetime) I don’t Touch unless something is wrong. My Diff fluid was changed once by dealership after I had TSB upgrade for carbon fiber clutch packs.

coolant- haven’t had a flush in 4 years, topped off once after I upgraded my tstat to a 170. Check every now and then to top off

Not sure if this helps or if I missed anything

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as free advice goes? :angels25:

For most "normal driving folks"? If you want to be safe, go off the vehicle manufacturers rough/harsh environment maintenance schedule. If you are harder on your vehicles, reduce that even further. If you tow, are in the mountains, pumping additional boost, always in the boost, long periods idle, etc.etc.
YMMV.

For me? I've always changed fluids on the early side, especially the first ones. I always treat my cars, trucks, motorcycles like I will keep them forever and when I sell them, it is usually a quick private sale b/c some discerning people appreciate buying from someone with extreme mechanical empathy. Does it make a difference? I'd say yes, but how much? IDK.

FYSA, Ford is looking to save money, make money, and make you think you are saving money. I honestly feel they could care less if their vehicles made it much past 125K on the odometer.
I have also seen a lot of F/R diff fluids look like crap w/i 5-10K of driving. Personally, I will change all of my 2020 diffs/trans case/transmission by 15K. From there, my plan is to have ALL fluids changed at 40-50K miles. Oil is synthetic whenever the oil meter reads 30% of life left.

YMMV

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as free advice goes? :angels25:

For most "normal driving folks"? If you want to be safe, go off the vehicle manufacturers rough/harsh environment maintenance schedule. If you are harder on your vehicles, reduce that even further. If you tow, are in the mountains, pumping additional boost, always in the boost, long periods idle, etc.etc.
YMMV.

For me? I've always changed fluids on the early side, especially the first ones. I always treat my cars, trucks, motorcycles like I will keep them forever and when I sell them, it is usually a quick private sale b/c some discerning people appreciate buying from someone with extreme mechanical empathy. Does it make a difference? I'd say yes, but how much? IDK.

FYSA, Ford is looking to save money, make money, and make you think you are saving money. I honestly feel they could care less if their vehicles made it much past 125K on the odometer.
I have also seen a lot of F/R diff fluids look like crap w/i 5-10K of driving. Personally, I will change all of my 2020 diffs/trans case/transmission by 15K. From there, my plan is to have ALL fluids changed at 40-50K miles. Oil is synthetic whenever the oil meter reads 30% of life left.

YMMV
I totally agree and waiting until something "happens" as mentioned previously makes no sense to me.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
As for replacing on the "early side" my other car had a warning in the owner's manual specifically to NOT change the oil that came in the engine early. Don't recall seeing it in any other. I run engine oil analysis and using pure synthetics the "or 12 months" or whatever time vs. mileage is unnecessary.

-- Chuck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The star mechanic on YouTube; Makuloco, says not to go by the book on fluid changes, he has a video on it.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Engines & turbos are expensive, I never waste money on extended warranties on anything. Oil and filters are cheap in comparison...every 3,000 miles.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following the owners manual for spark plug replacement will have you going crazy trying to figure out that misfire that won’t go away. Ford changed the intervals to 60k, gap widens out well before the suggested 100k.

Last edited: