Really Ford, WTF!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expee17Max

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a CPO 2017 Expedition Max back on 12/7. On 12/8 I attempted to register the vehicle online. It allows me to go through the whole process of entering all the pertinent information and even asks me if this(2017 Expedition EL) is my vehicle. I create a password and then I'm greeted with a message stating:

1/9/2019 System error
https://owner.ford.com/tools/system-error.html 1/1
System error
Sorry, we are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later or .
Return to .

This has been happening everyday since 12/8/18. I've attempted this on my home pc, phone, work pc and from a friends pc. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal except my SYNC is out of date. My wife does a lot of work out of the vehicle and is having issues with her phone connecting, which i'm pretty certain is due to the outdated software in the truck. I tried updating it through WiFi but it reaches a certain point and then hangs up and won't go any further. Unfortunately without being able to register the device I'm unable to download the update for our vehicle to install it through usb.

We've contacted Ford multiple times regarding this issue and they have acknowledged that their site is experiencing issues and to try again later. Well It's been over a month now and nothing. Customer service offered to try to create an account on our behalf so we can get the update. NO GO. Their final solution is for us to go to a dealer and pay a service fee of approximately $55 for 1/2 hour to have the tech hook our vehicle to the computer to install the update. We have been very adamant with Ford that we will not pay for something that is offered for free on their website. They told us flat out that they would not reimburse us or cover the charge for an update at the dealership.

I don't understand why this is such an issue for a billion dollar company. First off, their website has been malfunctioning for at least a month now, which they are aware of but have yet to fix. Second, why should we have to pay for something that is free? And finally, why are they not able to just send me an update or create an account for me so I can download it myself?

I am not at all happy with Fords customer service. We paid tens of thousands of dollars for a used vehicle yet they want us to shell out more money for an update that is FREE! This is Bull$h!+. My wife was literally in tears today to the the point where she wants to return the vehicle and go back to her Honda.

Sorry for the rant, but I am extremely dissatisfied with Ford at the moment.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is like trying to pay DMV fees or parking tickets online in the PRC

At least here you don't pay a penalty just cuz their server crashed...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps contact your Ford vehicle salesperson and explain the problem to them? Then, ask if the dealership will install the update for you at no charge - and perhaps tell the salesperson that it should have been updated when you bought it.

OP
OP
E

Expee17Max

Reaction score
Perhaps contact your Ford vehicle salesperson and explain the problem to them? Then, ask if the dealership will install the update for you at no charge - and perhaps tell the salesperson that it should have been updated when you bought it.
Did this yesterday, waiting to hear back from him. Unfortunately we drove to DE from PA to purchase the vehicle and I'm not really willing to make that drive again for something that I should be able to do from my driveway. Hopefully they can arrange something with the local Ford dealership to have the update installed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Sometimes its better to just let it go and pay the $$$ and move on. Its not worth the aggravation. Just consider it part of the cost of the vehicle. In the grand scheme of things you'll be much happier. Sorry if you don't like my advice but just trying to help you. Life is too short to suffer when you can avoid it.

OP
OP
E

Expee17Max

Reaction score
Sometimes its better to just let it go and pay the $$$ and move on. Its not worth the aggravation. Just consider it part of the cost of the vehicle. In the grand scheme of things you'll be much happier. Sorry if you don't like my advice but just trying to help you. Life is too short to suffer when you can avoid it.
I completely understand and unfortunately this is the outcome I'm expecting. It just sucks that us customers are forced to deal with these unfair and unethical businesses. I know $55 is nothing considering the price of the vehicle, it's just the principle of paying for something that is free.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the dealer you purchased it from doesn't satisfactorily address the issue, be sure to leave reviews on any websites you can. Our local dealer calls everyone that leaves a bad review to see what they can do to fix the issue, to have the review removed or updated. On the other hand, if they address the issue and you're happy, I'd leave a review to that affect also.

They should be looking at this the same way they would look at any other item on the vehicle not working and that wasn't working the day you purchased it. They have an obligation to make it right, though it sounds like it might involve a trip to Delaware...

Plati

Reaction score
I completely understand and unfortunately this is the outcome I'm expecting. It just sucks that us customers are forced to deal with these unfair and unethical businesses. I know $55 is nothing considering the price of the vehicle, it's just the principle of paying for something that is free.

I had to do that when I bought my 2014EL. Week after I bought it, it rained & I found out my intermittent wipers didn't work. I went round and round … Ford said windshield had been replaced so no coverage. Dealer I bought it from ran me in circles. Finally I just had it fixed and went on a trip and I really like the wiper feature. Its taken me a while but I've learned (sorta) what battles are worth it and which ones aren't. If its worth it, I go to the mat!!!

My buddy had a beef with Samsung on a broken tv. He was relentless … would not give up. It was the principle with him. Weeks, months … of calling and talking. I think he was trying to hobble the companys Customer Service system. Finally he packed up the tv and shipped it to the companys US Executive at his office in NYC. That worked , he got a replacement tv. Funny thing was, at the end of the day .. his son had broken the screen by throwing a game controller at it and it wasn't even Samsungs fault.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife was literally in tears today to the the point where she wants to return the vehicle and go back to her Honda.

If this is true, I'd head over to the Honda dealership immediately and see what kind of deal you can make.

And maybe sell the Expedition, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire