Really Ford, WTF!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my 2016 CPO I went through a few weeks with the website not allowing downloads of updates. NOTE: That was late January 2018.

OP
OP
E

Expee17Max

Reaction score
When I bought my 2016 CPO I went through a few weeks with the website not allowing downloads of updates. NOTE: That was late January 2018.
I assume the site was eventually fixed or did you take other measures to get the update?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Expee17Max

Reaction score
If this is true, I'd head over to the Honda dealership immediately and see what kind of deal you can make.

And maybe sell the Expedition, too.
Well she can be a bit dramatic at times. Lol. Unfortunately Honda doesn't offer a 3 row SUV with the towing capabilities and cargo capacity of the Expedition. If they did we would've never even looked at a ford. With 3 kids a boat and a camper her Accord just doesn't cut it... hell, my Ridgeline is barely enough. Overall we love the Expedition just the customer service on this issue down right sucks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Ford usually has a way to update their "information" systems on line. Have you really checked their Web Site (good luck with that) and seen if there isn't an upload you can do with a thumb drive via USB? I know their updates often don't work, but it may?

OP
OP
E

Expee17Max

Reaction score
Ford usually has a way to update their "information" systems on line. Have you really checked their Web Site (good luck with that) and seen if there isn't an upload you can do with a thumb drive via USB? I know their updates often don't work, but it may?
As far as I know, the only way to download the update to a thumb drive is to have a registered account. Being that they're site isn't working, I'm unable to register and therefore unable to get the update.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume the site was eventually fixed or did you take other measures to get the update?

It was eventually fixed. I had to go from 1.0 to 2.0 via USB. Since then I have been able to update from my home Wi-Fi from the carport.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did this yesterday, waiting to hear back from him. Unfortunately we drove to DE from PA to purchase the vehicle and I'm not really willing to make that drive again for something that I should be able to do from my driveway. Hopefully they can arrange something with the local Ford dealership to have the update installed.

Your name and state suggest you might have an originally-Canadian vehicle now in USA?? (EL vs Max naming)

In that case, yeah, vin number might limit or trip up certain US-market online services....maybe try Ford Canada

Tereza

Reaction score
I had this same problem happening on my 2009 Expedition Limited over summer of 2018. Maps on the navigation were outdated. Researched it online and found a few posts stating I had to update the system. Went to the Ford site where I had already registered a few years back, tried updating but the link was useless. Kept going back every two weeks to no avail. That link never worked and I guess Ford has no intention on making it work. Finally had to buy the discs through Ford which set me back a couple hundred bucks. Updated the system and yet NO DIFFERENCE.

Plati

Reaction score
I had this same problem happening on my 2009 Expedition Limited over summer of 2018. Maps on the navigation were outdated. Researched it online and found a few posts stating I had to update the system. Went to the Ford site where I had already registered a few years back, tried updating but the link was useless. Kept going back every two weeks to no avail. That link never worked and I guess Ford has no intention on making it work. Finally had to buy the discs through Ford which set me back a couple hundred bucks. Updated the system and yet NO DIFFERENCE.
This is EXACTLY why navigation & communication (and what's next?) built into a vehicle is skeewacky. Car companies want to sell you a car and then <vanish>. Need to have these technologies portable / modern / and modular. Look into the future and that's unpredictable.
My EXPY has a radio, OK its Sirius but that's gonna work for a few more years (only since they need the monthly subscription).

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a guy who bought a couple of Sirius or XM (or Sirius-XM) car receivers at an auction. They were still active. He's never paid a bill and several years later they're still working. Apparently the company 'lost' them somehow and has never updated their database to discontinue service to their serial numbers.

I wonder if there's a way to use 3rd party maps like Open Street Map with SYNC? I've done that with my Garmin Nuvi 40 rather than paying big $ for the official maps. I put the OSM data on an SD card and plug it in.

There are so many things in electronics where the devices are made and sold, with the promise of software updates, but none are ever released. That's especially common with cheap Android tablets. Rather than release updates they just come out with a new tablet and leave the prior product with older software.

Part of that comes from one of the biggest names in low power CPUs and SoC (System on Chip) manufacturers. Allwinner. They'll crank out a new design and adapt whatever the latest Android version is to it (or an older version) and release that - then NEVER produce any more software updates. In some cases heroic efforts by the open source Android development community will make a newer version of Android work on an Allwinner chip (which they haven't done for the H3, it's stuck with 4.x.x despite being powerful enough for 5 through 8). Making newer versions of Linux, Armbian and other operating systems work is far easier due to them having all or mostly all open source code.

At some point I expect to see a SYNC modding, hacking, total replacement community develop, especially if/when Ford totally abandons older versions. People with pre-2005 GMs with OnStar know that feeling of abandonment since they used old Motorola analog bagphone modules almost up to the digital cellphone changeover. Only the last analog OnStar models were offered digital upgrades. Older ones got bupkis. It is possible to remove the GPS board from analog OnStar, connect up a TTL to RS232-C level shifter then set the board to output raw NMEA code to use it as a standalone GPS receiver for a laptop, robot, drone aircraft etc.

Thankfully I don't need to bother with SYNC etc on my 07 EL since it doesn't have it and the other computer frills, not even a sunroof - and I like it that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett