Rear AIR Suspension Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Joros

Reaction score
YES, both sides of the suspension are connected together through your 20+year old hoses and valves.

Next time you have a leak in (2 weeks from now) listen to what other users are saying and change to coil shocks. These things are notorious for leaking (it is a money pit). I played with my air suspension for 1 year and $1K later switched to coil shocks. Definatly not worth fixing air ride on these old trucks unless have a backup vehicle and unlimited time fixing them. You will see.. some other hose or valve or master pump o rings will dryrot or give out shortly...

NDNplanner

Reaction score
Just this last weekend I took my kids off roading into the desert to look for jack rabbits, lizards, snakes and such. We came around a blind corner and hit a big pit of sand which stopped us in our tracks. This would have been no big deal under normal circumstances however my self leveling air ride shocks made the situation worse as my Expy decided it needed to level itself out and sunk the rear end all the way down to the frame leaving me even more stuck then necessary. After hours of shoveling i was no better then where I started. Luckily a kid came by in his F-150 and pulled me out after being stuck in the sand for a few solid hours after sun down. The second I got home I ordered an air-to-coil conversation kit off Amazon.com for my rear axle and have been happily ever after ever since. A few days later after I got everything converted over we drove back out to that exact same spot and redeemed ourselves with the gods of 4x4. My lesson learned to pass onto others... ditch the air ride and go with the tried and true coils. You will never regret it.

nobycane74

Reaction score
Looking for someone who might be able to help with a rear air suspension issue:

1- Purchased 1998 Expedition new - has 120K actual miles
2- Exceptionally maintained and garage kept
3- Never wrecked or in an accident

About two weeks back, the rear end was drooping because both air bags had "leaked" down.

Started truck and rear of truck immediately came back up to its proper position (so pump is functioning)

Let truck sit for two days and all was still well!!!

Then drove truck to town and back - the morning after, all appeared well. However that afternoon the rear end was drooping once again. Started the truck and the rear end of truck came back up to its proper position.

Then everything went well for almost a week and then the rear air suspension lost air once again. Starting the truck resolved the problem once again.

Obviously, something is failing. Has anyone else experienced this same issue?

I may have to wait until things get worse, but what is the most likely culprit?

Thanks so very much!

To be honest OP and a lot of people here are giving great advise, so I will piggy-back some of theirs as well....
MY 01 EXP EB (2WD) had the air suspension leveling system too...mine eventually just gave out due to age about 4 years ago at 79K. As being the original owner, it was way to costly to replace the system as it is.
So I converted over to coils like a lot of people have done....and trust me (and others) it was well worth it, the ride becomes a lot tighter, sturdier and nicer all around. It makes a lot of sense why FORD ended up getting rid of Air Suspension Leveling Systems on the Expeditions in early 2000's...they were a PITA and kept failing earlier on.