Rear Air suspension issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K-Clive

Reaction score
2012 Expedition Max EL
Rear suspension is not leveling with trailer tongue weight?
I was wondering how to test?
I checked the power distribution box &:
Relay #10 missing
Fuse #48 30amp missing
Fuse #19 60amp missing
Fuse #53 10amp missing

Hmmm...
wonder what the problem is here?

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
Hmmm...?
Maybe this air bag setup is already replaced with springs setup?
How do I know if the airbags are still in place?

I could manually fill the bags when needed?
Anybody done this? Shrader valve etc.?

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
Under the EPXY and no airbags - Oops
I thought these came with the tow package - my mistake and now I anm not happy with my choice.
It's a bit loosey goosey with the trailer and some tongue weight on it.
Has anyone put stiffer springs on a MAX standard suspension to make it a better trailer hauler?

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
I found the receipt for new rear shocks July 28th 2020 p/n ASH-12293 so, I have no load level air suspension.
Can we I get stiffer springs to help the ride height and tongue weight etc.?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try Load D or E tires and higher psi. The rear felt much more planted when I made this change. Some local tire shops will let you change the tires if you're not happy.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the receipt for new rear shocks July 28th 2020 p/n ASH-12293 so, I have no load level air suspension.
Can we I get stiffer springs to help the ride height and tongue weight etc.?
Regarding bounciness, Bilstein shocks will help. 4600s for stock height, 5100s for height-adjustability. Note that you'll need to scavenge parts from the stock shocks, including spring seats, isolators, and the coils themselves.

If the ride height is also an issue you can have custom springs made. I ordered through https://coilsprings.com/ and am very happy with the results. My spec was +700# Trailer Tongue Weight, +20% Rate Increase, +1" ride height.

Mounted to Bilstein 5100s on my EL. It rides great when towing, acceptably smooth when unloaded, and easily clears 35" tires. Cost was very reasonable.

It was a driveway install. About 2 hours to assemble and install both rear shocks with the coils but I have air tools, a spring compressor, and a solid familiarity with the truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
Thank you!

I will be doing something like this, not in my driveway, I don't have the tools.
Looks like the way to go in my case.

Thanks for good info.

Cheers

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you!

I will be doing something like this, not in my driveway, I don't have the tools.
Looks like the way to go in my case.

Thanks for good info.

Cheers
It can be done with conventional tools, just need a spring compressor and maybe an electric impact driver. That's what I used to get mine done. The impact driver is useful for compressing the spring and removing the top hat, but it can be done with a breaker bar as well.

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
For now, I am putting some SUMO type things in the rear springs to help out while I figure out what next.
Thanks for the info - I don't have a spring compressor, I do have an electric impact driver. Not sure about the breaker bar technique?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For now, I am putting some SUMO type things in the rear springs to help out while I figure out what next.
Thanks for the info - I don't have a spring compressor, I do have an electric impact driver. Not sure about the breaker bar technique?
The breaker bar is used to drive the long threaded bolts on the spring compressor. As you can imagine, the spring has a lot of tension so the bolts get progressively more difficult to turn. An impact or breaker bar makes compressing the springs much easier. The compressors aren't expensive. I've had a set like the ones below for years.

Attachments

• Spring Compressor.jpg
    Spring Compressor.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett