Rear doors won't open from inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
Thread title pretty much says it all. The child safety locks are disengaged, as best I can determine.

Both doors open from the outside, although the remote control on the right-hand door doesn't seem to be working; i have to open the passenger door and reach through to unlock it manually.....

Suggestions?

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
I mean, the switches look and feel like they're all the way in the unlocked positions; I know nothing about these things except what the manual tells me. I pushed them down as far as they'll go, but of course anything could be happening on the inside of the panel....

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the next step is to pop them open to see if the child lock is functioning or not.

Last edited:

rjr71

Reaction score
On mine I popped the cover off the childlock switch and sprayed some silicone spray in there while toggling the switch back and forth and I was good. Seems the mechanism gets locked up
On them sometimes

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
I finally got the right-hand door working, although I'm not sure how -- I basically kept pushing the switch up and down, locking and unlocking the door, working the handle, and putting some shoulder action against the door until it finally starting operating again. Still no luck with the left-hand side, but now at least there's reason for hope....

AlecV

Reaction score
When I got my 1997 from a previous owner it had a small amount of tape to prevent the passenger side rear door's child lock from sliding into the locked position. Seems to be a pretty common issue oddly enough.

Reaction score
There is a little spring behind the child safety lock actuator pin that gets worn out and stretched. Both of my back doors are the same and only open from outside. I'm going to try To get them disengaged and fill the space up with bondo once I get them to open from inside.