Rear Entertainment System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tgreen48

Reaction score
I ordered 10/19 with rear entertainment. My order is on hold for a restriction with priority code 01. No clue when it will get a scheduled. Ford doesn't tell the dealer anything so we're left completely blind. It's extremely frustrating.
I just asked dealer if he can get in touch with Ford and have the RES removed from my order. I'll post here with his findings, and whether or not it expedites my scheduling.

OP
OP
J

josiec

Reaction score
I just asked dealer if he can get in touch with Ford and have the RES removed from my order. I'll post here with his findings, and whether or not it expedites my scheduling.
Thank you! I’m definitely interested in hearing what you find out.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have they changed, updated or improved the RES?
Ours in a '20 is MEH at best.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have 2018 with RSE, our two teenage kids have rarely used. They prefer to be on their phones. I just purchased a Amazon Fire Stick and connected to RSE. It worked in my driveway connected to the truck’s WiFi, with access to Netflix and YouTube TV (which I subscribe to). I have not tested on the highway yet, in terms of the vehicle on board WiFi having enough signal strength to stream video. In March will be doing a road trip, and will have plenty of time to test out.
I do wish the RSE had option to play audio through car audio system.
That said, when our kids were younger, in our 2008 prior Expedition we used the RSE frequently on road trips, playing DVD’s.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our '20 has the RSE.
You CAN play the audio through car speakers, you need to connect it via Bluetooth.

That said, the kids were bored of a few DVD pretty quick. We are going to download a variety of shows and movies on a USB stick and give that a try. Feel it will be nice to have a little USB stick at the ready to connect and throw something on.

In reality, the Ford RSE seems pretty low-tech and not really that useful. The need to connect it bluetooth every time you turn the car on is a pain, the remotes are pretty flimsy and not always responsive, same with the touch buttons on the units themselves. If I were to factory order, I would skip the ~$2,500 option and put it to better use.

Kids prefer their IPad anyhow.

ExpyStealth

Reaction score
We have a 2018 F150 that we opted not to get the rear entertainment system on (or at that time it might have just been DVD head rests), but instead bought head rest iPad mounts off Amazon so the kids each have their own iPad for trips using the trucks WiFi to steam Netflix, Disney+, etc with no issues. That way it’s limitless on what they can watch on long car trips.
So we decided to do the same thing again when ordering our ‘22 expy.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I covered all this in an old thread from a year or two ago, but here it is in a nutshell:

The RES as it comes from Ford is poorly implemented.
There are really nice ones out there, and Ford could have looked to any of those examples (QX80). But they cheaped out.

The major complaints: no ability to control from the front seats, and no hard-wired audio input to the vehicles surround sound. The Bluetooth interface is laughable—even assuming you can get the audio delay set correctly.

There are solutions—some more complex, and some more costly, but if you intend to use the system for whole family enjoyment you may want to explore them.

One solution (that I went with) was to install a module from Naviks that allows an HDMI input directly to the car‘s audio system, and front screen if the front passenger wishes to watch also.

What this looks like is a pluggable module that you install inside the center console (center stack and console must come out) and route the HDMI receptacle wherever you want. I ran my cable to the inside of the cavernous armrest bin. Once this module is installed, you install a small USB thumbdrive (formatted—but nothing on it.) into one of the USB ports in the center console and select that USB input for audio. This is just a way to tell the car to pull audio from the HDMI input, since there is no HDMI option to select from Ford’s menu Then depress and hold the left thumb pad on the steering wheel for 2 seconds and magically anything plugged into that HDMI port plays through the car’s audio system, and is displayed on the center console screen.

Perfect right? Well, no, you’re not quite done yet. That gives you glorious surround sound TV up front—but what about the rear screens?
Well, turns out the rear screens also have an HDMI input. So I installed an HDMI splitter in the center console bin also, and my “source” (which is sometimes a BluRay player, and most times my Roku streaming stick) just sends TV to front and back simultaneously. And yes that requires running a HDMI cable (DON’T BUY A CHEAP ONE!!) from inside the console bin, under the carpet and up through the driver’s seat to the headrest screen.

A weekend of work to be sure once you get all the pieces parts and panel tools you need, but the result is how it should have come from the factory. HDMI video and audio from streaming TV or BluRay on all three screens simultaneously with seamless, effortless, HD surround sound. Still not a perfect solution, but it at least makes it useable. And to toggle the front screen back and forth from “TV” mode to Ford Sync mode, just hit the left arrow on the left D-pad again.

OP
OP
J

josiec

Reaction score
Just an update- our dealer tried to remove the RES to help our vehicle get built and the system wouldn’t let them. Hopefully that means they are close to building early orders with the RES

We originally ordered 10/20

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The RES as it comes from Ford is poorly implemented.
There are really nice ones out there, and Ford could have looked to any of those examples (QX80). But they cheaped out.

The major complaints: no ability to control from the front seats, and no hard-wired audio input to the vehicles surround sound. The Bluetooth interface is laughable—even assuming you can get the audio delay set correctly.

There are solutions—some more complex, and some more costly, but if you intend to use the system for whole family enjoyment you may want to explore them.
I am hoping with the implementation of Amazon TV and Amzon itself touting this and using the example of the Wagoneer, that Ford would better implement it with the 2022, otherwise, you are right. The implementation from what I gather was poor and needed work around our using Bluetooth with variable audio lag. If I knew for certain, they would be continuing the same system as they have done through 2021, I would not have ordered with RES. I a hoping for a better integrated product with Sync 4 and Amazon fire TV....I may be wrong, but I hope not!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt