Rear Entertainment Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We just picked up our Expedition yesterday and one of the first things I did when we got home was update both monitors. Latest update available was 2964 and everything “seems” to be operating and shutting off normally.

tank587

Reaction score
Good morning..just wanted to update my post and situation with the FORD EXPEDITION MAX REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM...as you may know some of us has experienced some type of malfunction when it comes to the Amazon rear entertainment system that come in the 2022 EXPEDITION...we were looking for an OVER THE AIR UPDATE..I believe that I did receive it and for right now my system is functioningproperly...I found the PURPLE & RED WIRED CONNECTOR ON THE FRONT SIDE DRIVER/PASSENGER SEAT..DISCONNECTED AND RECONNECTED THEM BOTH..POWERED ON UNIT..THEN THE SYSTEM LOOKED TO UPDATE ITSELF..I WAS TOLD TO GO TO SETTINGS AND TURN OFF WIFIAND TURN IT BACK ON...THIS IS THE VERY FIRST TIME MY HEADREST WENT OFF WHEN I SHUT MY EXPEDITION OF..SO FOR NOW...THEY ARE WORKING CORRECTLY

Devildog0451

Reaction score
So I finally figured it out. When looking under the front seats, from in front of them, you will see a connector with three wires coming out, purple, red and black. Undo and redo that connector. I did that and the screen that was frozen shut off and restarted and now turns off when the car is off and the other screen now powers on. So weird and annoying, but literally took 10 seconds to unplug and replug and saved myself a trip to the dealer. Hopefully it stays working. Fingers crossed. Let me know if this helps you.
How did you disconnect the wires without breaking the connector?

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay I hate to resurrect this thread, but my wife and I just got back from vacation (5 days) and battery was totally dead. I had both monitors updated to 2973 but something still drained the battery. I checked the updates again nothing is available so I just unplugged power to both monitors and we'll see how it acts this next week. Any other suggestions?

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry you got back there despite the updates. At this point, I have had mine permanently disconnected till further notice after I suffered the same fate. Left the care in the garage while using another car for 4 days and it was completely dead. Not even interior lights would come on. At this point, I consider the screens as $ 2000 bricks

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51243 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain -- Released December 9, 2022

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update was launched by Amazon on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. This update will not show in the Ford OTA Dashboard since the rear seat entertainment system is a stand-alone feature. For the Amazon OTA update to occur, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their Amazon account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as Amazon account is connected.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51262 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain -- Released December 16, 2022

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update was launched by Amazon on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. This update will not show in the Ford OTA Dashboard since the rear seat entertainment system is a stand-alone feature. If the screens are frozen, remove fuse F24 in the body control module (BCM) for two minutes and reinstall, the screens should power back on. For the Amazon OTA update to occur, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their Amazon account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as Amazon account is connected.

stacy7560

Reaction score
SSM 51262 2022 Expedition/Navigator - Rear Seat Entertainment Screens Staying On - Battery Drain -- Released December 16, 2022

Some 2022 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may experience rear seat entertainment screens staying on with possible battery drain. This may be due to Amazon entertainment system software. An over-the-air (OTA) software update was launched by Amazon on 14-Oct-2022 to remedy this concern. This update will not show in the Ford OTA Dashboard since the rear seat entertainment system is a stand-alone feature. If the screens are frozen, remove fuse F24 in the body control module (BCM) for two minutes and reinstall, the screens should power back on. For the Amazon OTA update to occur, vehicle power needs to be turned on, touch each display, select Settings > Network > Turn On Wi-Fi. Customer will need to connect to their Amazon account. The Amazon entertainment system software OTA update will happen automatically as soon as Amazon account is connected.
I brought my 2022 Expedition to Ford so they could show me how to update and they helped me update the Amazon. Unfortunately this did not correct the problem and my Expedition went into sleep mode for the 6th time since I have had it. Very frustrating and disappointing to be paying so much money and having these ongoing problems with battery draining. Now we will see how Ford handles it being that it is now the 6th. time ‍around.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In late July, 2022, Ford released a Special Service Message to dealership Service personnel explaining vehicle conditions which trigger Deep Sleep notifications, and how to respond to them...

SSM 50975 - 2017-2022 Various Ford And Lincoln Vehicles - Deep Sleep Mode Notification In FordPass® And/Or LincolnWay® Cell Phone Apps

Some 2017-2022 Ford/Lincoln customers may experience a notification in the FordPass®/LincolnWay® app indicating Vehicle Has Entered Deep Sleep Mode. This occurs when the vehicle has not been started for 14 consecutive days, or battery voltage is at/below 9.5 volts, or the body control module (BCM) 12 volt battery state of charge (SOC) drops below 50%. A warning may also set if the telematic control unit (TCU) has received an over the air update. The TCU powers down all communication when in this mode and app features are disabled. Manually start the vehicle to wake it from Deep Sleep Mode. More information is located in the app under: Account > Help > search 'Deep Sleep' in the entry box. If the condition remains, check the BCM 12v SOC. If the SOC does not change after charging the battery or after BMS reset is performed, continue with normal battery and/or BMS sensor diagnostics.

So, while your past five experiences with Deep Sleep notifications may have been the direct result of the stalled Amazon update in your vehicle's Rear Seat Entertainment software, your completing the Amazon update assisted with the dealership employee's guidance should've corrected the past battery drain issue -- unless you are saying that subsequent to your dealership visit, you noticed the Rear Seat monitors still powered up after you shutdown your Expedition.

It's possible the Deep Sleep notification was caused by a software update to your vehicle's Telematic Control Unit (TCU), or the repeated state of battery discharge may have contributed to your vehicle's battery needing replacement.

The following section from the 2022 Expedition Workshop Manual describes how the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) mentioned in SSM 50975 evaluates your Expedition's battery...

Battery State of Charge
The Battery monitoring system monitors the battery current flow and voltage to determine the battery state of charge. During the drive cycle the the battery monitoring system software monitors the charge and discharge current and increases the charge during charging, and decreasing it during discharge. During rest periods (key off with no electrical loads) when the vehicle enters sleep mode, the battery voltage is sampled to calibrate the state of charge. The sensor automatically executes this calibration anytime the vehicle enters sleep mode and when the total vehicle current draw is below 400mA. It takes 8 to 10 hours in the sleep mode to calibrate the battery state of charge to high accuracy. If the system draw does not allow the battery state of charge calibration over the previous 7 to 10 days the state of charge quality factor changes to flag this and some the battery monitoring system functions, which rely on the accuracy of the battery state of charge, may be temporarily turned off until a calibration takes place.

So, regardless of the root cause of this sixth Deep Sleep notification, the dealership Service tech will hopefully diagnose and correct the issue, as a reward for your patience and persistence as a rightfully frustrated Expedition owner.

Good luck!

Last edited:

stacy7560

Reaction score
Thank you Hazbeen, I will review the information you wrote and try to understand this modern tech stuff. What has been going on is absolutely ridiculous and certainly frustrating, it seems the more you pay the bigger the problems.
again, I thank you!
S