Rear hatch dirt and spray build up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ceramic coating sure helped that crud wash off easy, but it sure gets dirty just like every other SUV shaped vehicle.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ceramic coating sure helped that crud wash off easy, but it sure gets dirty just like every other SUV shaped vehicle.
This is true. I opted for the little roll up mat thing on the weathertech mat for the rear and I’m glad I did. The bumper will dirty up pants and bare legs with severity.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The old Ford Bronco's had a down spoiler similar to the subaru picture. I believe it was a factory option. It helped keep the window clear and helped keep exhaust gases from going in the back window when it was down. They also didn't have rear wipers and they had 460 V8's and fuel economy wasn't a concern...

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the worse is under and around the lift gate along the inside gasket for the door. it piies up and the car wash doesn't touch it. If you don't keep it cleaned off it becomes a harden ridge of dirt.

Last edited:

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the worse is under and around the lift gate along the inside gasket for the door. it pies up and the car wash doesn't touch it. If you don't keep it cleaned off it becomes a harden ridge of dirt.
That’s true. There are a lot of gaps that the dirt gets under. Just like the passenger doors; if you want to give it a clean, you have to open the doors and clean the door jambs - of course the rear is worse because of all the nook and crannies, and the sheer quantity of dirt.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The GM station wagons around 1970 (before the 1971 model) had a spoiler on the back of the luggage rack that directed air over the tailgate. Very effective in keeping it clean. No wiper needed.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The GM station wagons around 1970 (before the 1971 model) had a spoiler on the back of the luggage rack that directed air over the tailgate. Very effective in keeping it clean. No wiper needed.

The rear window on those was pretty steeply raked tho, certainly more aggressively angled than our Expis/Navis. That would also help air flow over the surface of the window.

c689900bb9dd07359167f9be29aa9dd4.jpg

And sure enough...there is a wee spoiler up there. I had no idea. (Granted, I wasn’t born until 13 years after this particular green goddess rolled off the assembly line, but I’m not a typical millennial, I do have a general sense that the world existed before I was in it.)

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1977 Chevy Caprice Wagon had a more vertical window and the wind deflector was integrated into the luggage rack. Worked very well.

schulzie

Reaction score
I had a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with a similar rear spoiler. It was tinted clear, like the window vent visors. It was bought used and already on it. That was when I lived in Northern Indiana, then Nashville, TN. Snow, sand, salt, bugs, pollen, all of it. It stayed very clean, as clean as any sedan ever would. I can't remember the brand, but I'd put it on the Exp. immediately if there was one for it.

JennyD

Reaction score
My Magnetic Expy gets wayyyy dirtier on the back tailgate than the black Durango ever did & no car wash adequately cleans the license plate inset. Still love it! :D