Rear Hatch Operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same. Was going to get a new Super Duty soon too. No freaking way! GMC it is. At least they give a shit about their customers. This is life altering impressive incompetence.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my lift-gate and rear window will both open when the vehicle (2019 Limited Max 4X4) is locked. The hands-free foot kick feature is another thing. A couple weeks after I took delivery I had it in to have a trim piece damaged at delivery replaced. I mentioned to the service mgr. that the hands-free didn't seem to be working. He tells me that not all trim levels have that feature but looks under the bumper, says "yours has it," and stands up and kicks his foot in and out a couple times and it opens. So, mimicking him, I kick in and out to close it and around ten kicks later, it finally decides to close. It has not opened with a kick ever since. Yesterday I was kneeling behind the rear bumper snapping the hitch cover back on and the open lift gate came down on me and that's not the first time. It previously closed on me when I was standing and unloading groceries. At first I thought it may be designed to close like that after a certain time, but that's not the case. I have a laundry list of glitches for when I have time to take it in and pretty much ALL of them involve sensors of one kind or another.

Plati

Reaction score
These features are goofy IMHO. Is it supposed to be easier to balance on one foot and swing your leg/foot in a "zone" than press a button with your finger? And a motor to raise & lower? Phooey. Disable it and use an arm. Get some exercise.

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My point wasn't the kick feature. I could care less about that...my button was not even working when the car was locked and you had a key in your pocket. So they fixed that two days ago but broke all the door locks working in the process. I've got Ford Corporate in on it now and going to a new dealer on Monday.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These features are goofy IMHO. Is it supposed to be easier to balance on one foot and swing your leg/foot in a "zone" than press a button with your finger? And a motor to raise & lower? Phooey. Disable it and use an arm. Get some exercise.
Idk, running to the car with two arms full of stuff all of a sudden that kick feature proves to be pretty handy. I had issues with mine in the beginning but I think it was just my kick technique.... I’m pretty consistent now.

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So now the door locks have randomly started working again! This thing has gremlins all in it I fear! Off to the new shop today though! Hopefully they sort it out.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So now the door locks have randomly started working again! This thing has gremlins all in it I fear! Off to the new shop today though! Hopefully they sort it out.

Good luck! I bet the comments about deep sleep were correct and it was because of something the dealer did. Once that battery charged back up sufficiently, the doors started working again. I do believe they disable when in deep sleep mode.

I really hope you get it sorted...mine is right as rain and it really is a fabulous vehicle all the way around. I hope you can get to that place with yours.

(For what my opinion is worth, the “kick to open” feature on the hatch is awesome. I have a 5yo and a 2yo and with them and stuff and dogs and whatnot, I love it. I agree there is a learning curve on how to make it work reliably, but once you get your kicking technique down, it works like a champ.)

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally took it to another dealer and they fixed everything I asked...and more. Even found what the issue was with a grinding noise during slow driving sometimes. Amazing! (that one dealer can suck so bad...and one is so amazing.)

Oberst Oswald

Reaction score
I have dogs and would like to disable the "kick to open" feature only. Not the hatch button, the remote control nor the inside dash button. Had a issue when I, with remote, was by drivers door and my wife triggered the kick to open while walking to the passenger side. Dogs jumped out of the car and were loose in a parking lot for a few seconds before returning to the car. The go to "settings, advanced, vehicle settings, power liftgate" does not disable just the "kick to open" without disabling other things. Is there a wiring harness I can disconnect without setting of some sort of code?