rear jack hatch/well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollingbear

Reaction score
Hi there, i wanted to know if anyone has modified their rear jack hatch/well to make it usable. I am thinking about cutting out the metal and forming a new metal box that i can actually use to put stuff in. (stupid ford design) i had a taurus wagon and i loved the big well under the 3rd row seat when it was down. i could put my tools, snow chains,first aid bag, tie down straps,water bottles for the kids in there and it worked very well for me. you cant put anything in the rear well in my 2003 expy and it is all clutering up the cargo area. i just wanted to know if anybody had tried it and what the results were... thanks
picts would be great too...

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i haven't heard of anyone doing that. but sounds like a good idea. If you end up doing that, take lots of pics.

OP
OP
rollingbear

rollingbear

Reaction score
I just got my expy and really have to get under there and look at how much room there really is. I'm not sure if the spare will get in the way or not but i have to do something because there is no real storage in this thing at all. I am also going to go to the surplus store and see if i can find some ammo cans that will fit underneath to hold my snow chains and tow straps and jumper cables to keep them out of the way. i did that on my truck and it was great. 2 .50 cal cans fit right in the bumper sideways. but there is no room to do that here.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm i got a 50 cal can here. wonder once i put the spacer lift on it if that will help.... now you got me thinking.....

OP
OP
rollingbear

rollingbear

Reaction score
i did the ammo cans on my truck and they were great...you will love them. I stored my tow chains & tire chains in one and my ratchet tie downs, tow strap and jumper cables in the other. plus they are water tight (if you buy good ones) and they get all that messy stuff out from under your back seat and they are lockable too. i was able to mount the ones in my truck on there side which i liked better but i don't see any room to do that on my expy... I will have to bolt them through the lid and hope there is room to swing it open. M & I military surplus on gary ave in Pomona Ca has a ton of different ammo cans... best selection i have found. so hopefully i will find something that will work because the clutter is killing me

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats a couple miles from me. but how do you lock the cans? cant remember a spot on my can where you can lock it.

OP
OP
rollingbear

rollingbear

Reaction score
they sell these lock kits but you can just weld a hardened bolt to the can and drill a hole for the lock... much cheaper and works the same. M & I is the best, ive been going there since i was 7 yrs old.
literal kid in a candy store.

Attachments

• ammo lock.jpg
    ammo lock.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 140

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year truck are you guys talking about? Mine just has a little plastic door.