Rear Passenger Door won't close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GDYSTEALTH

Reaction score
So had a family drive over the holidays and upon arriving the kids got out only to find out that the door wouldn't shut! The latch was working but it wouldn't latch holding the door closed! After 20 min slamming the door still nothing so tied it shut from the inside went skiing then tried it upon return still wouldn't close so drove to the nearest gas station bought some WD40 and sprayed the latch hey presto it worked!! But since has just done it again today!! living in Alberta we have just having a cold winter so maybe doesn't help but saying that all the other doors work fine!! Car is going in to dealer this week but not sure if they will just say its the weather?

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen the latch piece itself pop back into the locked position while the door is open and then not close/latch.

It can't with the latch piece in the closed position. When that happens the door won't fully close.

WD 40 isn't really a long lasting lubricant. I don't live in the temperatures you do but I usually spray some of the white lithium grease. That lasts a long time.

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
When the door won't close: (A) is the dome light on ? (B)...can you manually push the door latch in with your finger - will it engage (the latch stays in the locked locked position when you remove your finger)? If (A) is true, and/or (B) is false - suspect a faulty door latch mechanism

EXP543

Reaction score
Same think happened to my friends F150 yesterday. He said there was a recall on his. Also, said cold temp causes it not to latch. Once the cabin heated up a bit the door latched.

Plati

Reaction score
Seems like a common problem on Ford's. My 2003 , the driver door sometimes won't latch in cold weather. PITA! I have successfully used a workaround at times which is cycle (keyfob) the door locks a couple few times. I think on mine its the door lock actuator, but there can be several root causes for this. After warming up works fine.

My first workaround was winding a strap through the driver door handle thing across to the passenger side to keep door closed. Poor mans seatbelt.

Must say its very interesting experience when you get in the car and go and when you go around that first corner the door swings open.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So had a family drive over the holidays and upon arriving the kids got out only to find out that the door wouldn't shut! The latch was working but it wouldn't latch holding the door closed! After 20 min slamming the door still nothing so tied it shut from the inside went skiing then tried it upon return still wouldn't close so drove to the nearest gas station bought some WD40 and sprayed the latch hey presto it worked!! But since has just done it again today!! living in Alberta we have just having a cold winter so maybe doesn't help but saying that all the other doors work fine!! Car is going in to dealer this week but not sure if they will just say its the weather?

By repeatedly slamming the door, you may have damaged the latch mechanism when it kept striking the door striker bolt.

The latch-pawl that closes over the door striker bolt can freeze and not fully open when the door is opened. This is common with many vehicles - not just the Expedition.

I use GM high / low temperature white grease on all my door and hood latch mechanisms - applying it with my finger to ensure it is spread evenly. You can also use white lithium grease.

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, and live where the winter temperature can drop to 10 or 15 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

Lendalu1

Reaction score
So I have a related but slightly different issue. Should I start a new thread?
My daughter pulled on the rear passenger door when it was locked and the door actually opened and set off the alarm. After this happened, she now can't open the door from the inside after the auto lock engages while driving.
The door had operated fine inside and out before the alarm incident.

We have tried to turn child lock on and off but that doesn't seem to help. Anything else we should try?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very common after rain that freezes or going through a car was when it's cold out.

If you find that a car is prone to this, liberally spray the latch area with WD-40 at beginning of winter.

OP
OP
GDYSTEALTH

GDYSTEALTH

Reaction score
Yeah it certainly is a pain! I live in Alberta Canada so we can get really cold but all others were fine and the latch wouldn't click shut even by trying to latch it by hand or with a key/screwdriver and yes finding something to keep it closed when you go out for the day is a real PITA Currently back at fords getting a look at ?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah it certainly is a pain! I live in Alberta Canada so we can get really cold but all others were fine and the latch wouldn't click shut even by trying to latch it by hand or with a key/screwdriver and yes finding something to keep it closed when you go out for the day is a real PITA Currently back at fords getting a look at ?
In those cases I use a hair dryer on an extension cord to warm up the latch until it decides to cooperate.