Rear sag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014 Expy with HD tow package, 71,000 miles.

Without a load on my hitch my front end is about 7/8" to 1 1/8" higher than the rear. Is this normal? When I hook up the trailer and set up my WDH the transfer of weight to the front axle keeps the difference about the same as when unloaded. My ride is solid with or without the trailer. No obvious strut issues unless that difference in height is an indication of strut degradation.

I'm wondering if I'm due for strut replacement. But then, if my rear gets a lift up then I'm going to have to be looking at a new hitch shank to keep the trailer level on the hitch (existing shank is set as low as it can go).

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m measuring from the outside edge of the wheel well/fender to a point on the vertical centerline of each tire.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014 Expy with HD tow package, 71,000 miles.

Without a load on my hitch my front end is about 7/8" to 1 1/8" higher than the rear. Is this normal? When I hook up the trailer and set up my WDH the transfer of weight to the front axle keeps the difference about the same as when unloaded. My ride is solid with or without the trailer. No obvious strut issues unless that difference in height is an indication of strut degradation.

I'm wondering if I'm due for strut replacement. But then, if my rear gets a lift up then I'm going to have to be looking at a new hitch shank to keep the trailer level on the hitch (existing shank is set as low as it can go).
Measure the front fender height before you load the tongue and after. It will go up after you load the tongue. When you adjust the WDH it should come back down by 50%. So if it rises by 1 inch when you load the tongue it should only rise by .5 inch once the WDH is hooked up.

If you have ride quality issues, struts may need to be replaced. They degrade slowly, so it's not always obvious when they're done. I think 100k miles is probably reasonable. Of course heavy loads and rough roads may wear them out more quickly.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m measuring from the outside edge of the wheel well/fender to a point on the vertical centerline of each tire.
Have you checked with a level on the frame? The rear fender opening on these trucks is lower than the front, is why I was asking...

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t but I’m just taking a measurement and recording the differences.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Measure the front fender height before you load the tongue and after. It will go up after you load the tongue. When you adjust the WDH it should come back down by 50%. So if it rises by 1 inch when you load the tongue it should only rise by .5 inch once the WDH is hooked up.
I'm only getting about a 1/4" rise when I drop the trailer on the hitch, so as far as that goes, I guess I'm good. Just sitting there, though, whether I have a load or not, the front sits about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" higher than the rear, which is back to my original issue.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm only getting about a 1/4" rise when I drop the trailer on the hitch, so as far as that goes, I guess I'm good. Just sitting there, though, whether I have a load or not, the front sits about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" higher than the rear, which is back to my original issue.

I previously recorded the fender heights on my 2017. I had the front at 36" and the rear at 35" with no load.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the OP, the rear sag occurs whether I’m hooked up to the trailer or not. Just sitting there the rear is about 1 1/2” lower than the front. That’s the issue. FWIW, my tongue weight is about 10%-15% of total weight which is about 3400-3500 lbs.

As far as the WDH goes, I’ve towed with and without the WDH. I’ve also towed with and without a sway bar. I prefer the more solid, connected feel with the WDH. Mine also incorporates sway control and I’m glad I have it. Having towed with and without I definitely feel a difference.