Rear seat entertainment ok or a bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you need Blu-ray? The screen resolution is below Blu-ray. I converted all of our DVD’s and Blu-ray’s to mp4 and put them all on an 256 GB SD card. Kids love going through the catalog and selecting a movie. You can also stick a Roku or Apple TV in the HDMI slot and stream away. Disney + has been a big hit lately. It’s a decent system but could definitely be better in some areas.

Anyone know if there are any firmware/software updates for the RES?

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...As for front seat viewers that’s illegal pretty much across the entire US

You can walk right out and hop in any QX56, or LX570, right now ( I have personally experienced both)..and various Hondas, Toyotas, minivans,
... put the new DVD you just borrowed from a friend into the DVD slot on the dash and get instant theatre-quality immersive sound and the video up on both headrests, AND also on the center console video screen up front.
Instant entertainment at tailgating, campgrounds, etc..
And best of all, with small children the front passenger can change out movies, adjust volume, .. pause, rewind. You get the idea.

There are motion lockouts on the front video to prevent attempting to movie-watch while driving.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you need Blu-ray? The screen resolution is below Blu-ray.

Because Blu-ray is the current standard. Screens should also be 4K. It’s 2020.

NukeLife, we just dumped a QX60 for a 2020 Lincoln Aviator. Only thing that we like more about the Infinity is the RSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you need Blu-ray? The screen resolution is below Blu-ray. I converted all of our DVD’s and Blu-ray’s to mp4 and put them all on an 256 GB SD card.

The resolution is not the problem.
Having to convert every new movie I buy...or borrow from a friend.. and then bring my SD card in to update it for the 40th time ... ? all because they cheaped out on putting a player in the dash? :banghead:

But even that, I could get past, since we take a ROKU stick ( Disney + is awesome) and Nintendo on trips. So physical movie discs are not the only source for fun.
The worst offense, is no hard-wired interface to the surround sound and front screen.
Can it be overcome? Yes. But to do it correctly is costly and requires time and surgery on the interior.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good points Nuke. I didn’t sit down and convert them all in one sitting. A lot come with a digital copy. Some were downloaded in nefarious ways. The others get converted and dumped on the home NAS so they can be streamed to any screen in the house. I update the SD card maybe once a quarter. Everything was already digitized so the first dump was painless.

Yeah not being able to control anything from the front is unfortunate. I’ve had to pull over a few times to play IT guy in the back a few times.

I don’t think 4K on a tiny screen from a couple of feet can’t be seen by the human eye.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed Fozzy, the RES in the old 2014 QX56 was excellent I loved it. Very easy. And with a motion lockout bypass kit installed (easy plug-n-play install), you had complete control doing 70 down the highway.

I assumed a four year newer luxury liner from Ford would at least be as good.. and not a step backwards.
Ha!

And yeah, AAOO, we’re not going to be able to see 4K on these little screens. LOL
But a lot of people still do purchase movies, box sets, etc on Blu-ray discs for their collection. It would be nice to be able to just grab one off your shelf and throw it in the car.
Just seems like a glaring oversight to me Or maybe Ford was trying to be so focused on future-proofing they forgot to also ensure the system still supported current and older tech ?
I dunno.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think 4K on a tiny screen from a couple of feet can’t be seen by the human eye.

I guess that’s why laptops and phones aren’t going that direction. Tiny screens you sit next to or hold in your hand. Oh wait, they are. My point is the Lincoln Play and maybe the Ford version depending on your trim level. You are buying a $80K SUV and a $2K RES. And they are giving you outdated equipment at a premium price. And high definition is about what you don’t see. You can’t see the pixels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m putting in a Navi order and I’m stuck on adding this or not. If I can plug a fire stick into them (are they linked monitors are completely independant?) I may add the entertainment package. Thoughts?

Also, for those who don’t have the monitors have you found seat mounts for screens? The seats are a funky shape.

Thanks.