Rear seat entertainment ok or a bust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ssve your money. it is pure shit. they are literally charging $2,000 for two $150 no name brand tablets. seriously. they have no integration to the vehicle whatsoever. the only connection to the vehicle in any way is audio via bluetooth and even that is absolutely horrible. there is a terrible delay. you can go into the settings of RSE and adjust but it never properly keeps the settings. it could EASILY have been succesful with two things. hardwired audio connection to audio system and touch screens. those two small items would have made it ok. i was the only one who could operate it. the built in sling player was cool. i did use it a lot in the 18 on basketball trips. on the drives home i would let wifey drive and sit in the back and watch live tv, ball games, dvr content from our directv system at home. i also used the hdmi input for connecting an appletv to stream stuff as well. what i found out is that you can do everything that the RSE does but better, higher resolution with an ipad which everyone in the fam already had. i have a client with full CNC workshop and am going to come up with a cool mount to clip or install around the headrest posts. something to hold the tablet in that headrest position because that is what i miss the most about the RSE, not having to hold the tablet. and its easier on the neck.

we replaced the 18 with a 19 and ordered the identical truck but without RSE

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ssve your money. it is pure shit. they are literally charging $2,000 for two $150 no name brand tablets. seriously. they have no integration to the vehicle whatsoever. the only connection to the vehicle in any way is audio via bluetooth and even that is absolutely horrible. there is a terrible delay. you can go into the settings of RSE and adjust but it never properly keeps the settings. it could EASILY have been succesful with two things. hardwired audio connection to audio system and touch screens. those two small items would have made it ok. i was the only one who could operate it. the built in sling player was cool. i did use it a lot in the 18 on basketball trips. on the drives home i would let wifey drive and sit in the back and watch live tv, ball games, dvr content from our directv system at home. i also used the hdmi input for connecting an appletv to stream stuff as well. what i found out is that you can do everything that the RSE does but better, higher resolution with an ipad which everyone in the fam already had. i have a client with full CNC workshop and am going to come up with a cool mount to clip or install around the headrest posts. something to hold the tablet in that headrest position because that is what i miss the most about the RSE, not having to hold the tablet. and its easier on the neck.

we replaced the 18 with a 19 and ordered the identical truck but without RSE

Thanks. Yeah, the navigator seat back looks virtually impossible to attach a tablet to which is an issue...

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m putting in a Navi order and I’m stuck on adding this or not. If I can plug a fire stick into them (are they linked monitors are completely independant?) I may add the entertainment package. Thoughts?

Also, for those who don’t have the monitors have you found seat mounts for screens? The seats are a funky shape.

Thanks.

Not sure for rear seats, but I have used the Ram Mounts for my iPad in my previous vehicle for my front seat. Check out the site and see what they have to meet your needs.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the RSE in my Expedition. Difference is that the Expy RSE is in the headrest and has a DVD. The Navi RSE has larger screens but doesn't have a DVD player. Both have the SD card slot and HDMI input on unit A (behind the driver). I have about 6 movies on an SD card right now. My daughter uses the DVD player a lot, son watches movies from the SD card. They also use the HDMI to either stream from a Roku or play Xbox. It is pretty handy as we take quite a few 8 hour (one way) road trips. They also have their tablets, but mostly for games. I also grabbed ATT's unlimited plan for the Expy when it was on sale for $15 per month, so that helps. The GM at our Lincoln dealer hates the RSE and won't order any in unless the customer specifically wants it, but he encourages them not to get it. I like it as it is less hassle for me. My kids pack their DVD's and run the system. We had the older system in our Explorer which had 2 DVD players, so it was kind of disappointing that the newer system only had one, but the HDMI makes up for that. I don't care to have it playing over the car audio, I listen to what I want, they watch their movies.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the RSE in my Expedition. Difference is that the Expy RSE is in the headrest and has a DVD. The Navi RSE has larger screens but doesn't have a DVD player. Both have the SD card slot and HDMI input on unit A (behind the driver). I have about 6 movies on an SD card right now. My daughter uses the DVD player a lot, son watches movies from the SD card. They also use the HDMI to either stream from a Roku or play Xbox. It is pretty handy as we take quite a few 8 hour (one way) road trips. They also have their tablets, but mostly for games. I also grabbed ATT's unlimited plan for the Expy when it was on sale for $15 per month, so that helps. The GM at our Lincoln dealer hates the RSE and won't order any in unless the customer specifically wants it, but he encourages them not to get it. I like it as it is less hassle for me. My kids pack their DVD's and run the system. We had the older system in our Explorer which had 2 DVD players, so it was kind of disappointing that the newer system only had one, but the HDMI makes up for that. I don't care to have it playing over the car audio, I listen to what I want, they watch their movies.

valid points. take the dvd out of the equation and you are back to square one, it is a terrible system! but even if you do use a lot of DVD, it is a $2000 dvd player with two marginal quality screens. the value proposition is absurd!! we have purchased 2 Platinum 4wd Expeditions. fully loaded. It is not the money, trust me. It is the fact that they are charging $2,000 for $150 worth of sub-par electronics.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet for 2k you could get a local car audio shop to do something nice...

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m putting in a Navi order and I’m stuck on adding this or not. If I can plug a fire stick into them (are they linked monitors are completely independant?) I may add the entertainment package. Thoughts?

Also, for those who don’t have the monitors have you found seat mounts for screens? The seats are a funky shape.

Thanks.

They are both linked and independent. I have our movies on a 256 GB SD card and each screen can play a different movie from the same SD card at the same time. The HDMI input is going to be the same across both screens. Only the master screen has an HDMI input.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We use the DVD player on long trips and it keeps my kids quiet. The car we bought happened to have it (didn't go looking for it), but it works fine. The one in my '16 Yukon was better, though. More options, better control, and better screen placement and resolution.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought two Samsung tablets on sale at Best Buy ($170 each), and headrest tablet mounts off Amazon ($20 each) for my third row occupants. This way my 8 and 10 year olds back there can watch whatever they want on HEADPHONES. I don't need nor want bluetooth or other integration with the vehicle's audio system. No way in hell am I listening to Elsa sing "Do You Want To Build A Snowman" for the 156th time on my fancy B&O audio system.

With four kids in the car, I prefer compartmentalization so that I can focus on - you know - driving.

My 8 and 10 year olds in the third row can sleep, read, listen to their iPods, or watch a movie on their cheap Samsung tablets via headphones. My 2 and 4 year olds in the 2nd row can play with their iPads or (preferably) sleep.

My wife can attend to them all.

I can focus on driving and avoiding traffic.

Happy family.