rear strut replacement. Same units for EL as the standard length?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking I should replace the struts on my new to me 08 Expedition EL. Looking at Rock Auto I see Monroe quick Struts have part number 271139 ($195 ish) listed for the rear on the EL and number 171139 ($120 ish) for the rear on the standard length. No other manufactures seem to differentiate anything for the rear on the EL. The listing on rock auto from Monroe also includes alternate part numbers and it seems both offerings list many of the same (but not all) alternate numbers.

So is there actually a different part to use on the EL compared to the standard length?

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Has anyone replaced their struts/shocks on an EL and if so what parts did you go with?

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do a search on the forum for “shocks for EL” there are many recommendations and explanations for shocks for the EL. Go up to the blue tabs and select “search forums”. Hope that helps.....

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Has anyone replaced their struts/shocks on an EL and if so what parts did you go with?

I had the rear passenger OEM strut blow at ~95K and the rear driver at ~105K. At 125K, the rear passenger blew again (with only 30K on it). At that point I pulled both Ford rear struts and replaced with Bilstein 4600s (part # 24-197724), which feel pretty similar to stock albeit a little firmer. I reused the original springs. There are some other good options as well depending on what type of ride you're looking for, but I would advise against sticking with Ford for shocks/struts. Just my 2 cents.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Similar experience to ManUpOrShutUp, my 08 expedition EL had 140,000 miles and I ordered Bilstein 4600 shocks, also re-used stock springs and it took me about 3 hours to change all 4 shocks, ride is very nice, only put 10,000 miles on them so far, but no issues.

Gary

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t use Monroe quick struts.
Even crappier than OEM. Bilstsin 4600s are what you seek and they are the same for ELs and nonELs

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
Plus one to Black against the Monroe's!!

Research advised against Monroe's... I ended up going with the KYB replacements. Firm and very responsive!!

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do a search on the forum for “shocks for EL” there are many recommendations and explanations for shocks for the EL. Go up to the blue tabs and select “search forums”. Hope that helps.....

Thanks for the advice, but found very little relevant information using the search function. Have you tried yourself using that search term? I dont find much that specifically references the EL.

I had the rear passenger OEM strut blow at ~95K and the rear driver at ~105K. At 125K, the rear passenger blew again (with only 30K on it). At that point I pulled both Ford rear struts and replaced with Bilstein 4600s (part # 24-197724), which feel pretty similar to stock albeit a little firmer. I reused the original springs. There are some other good options as well depending on what type of ride you're looking for, but I would advise against sticking with Ford for shocks/struts. Just my 2 cents.

Similar experience to ManUpOrShutUp, my 08 expedition EL had 140,000 miles and I ordered Bilstein 4600 shocks, also re-used stock springs and it took me about 3 hours to change all 4 shocks, ride is very nice, only put 10,000 miles on them so far, but no issues.

Gary

Don’t use Monroe quick struts.
Even crappier than OEM. Bilstsin 4600s are what you seek and they are the same for ELs and nonELs

Plus one to Black against the Monroe's!!

Research advised against Monroe's... I ended up going with the KYB replacements. Firm and very responsive!!

I'm sensing a trend here. So Bilstein 4600s at all 4 corners if I'm looking for the stock ride height? I see reference to the 5100s as well but more specifically when people are using lift kits. I assume I'm also adding in the related upper mounts/bushings, bellows etc. Any particular brand to use or avoid for all that ancillary stuff? Anything else that I'm overlooking and/or that people find often need replaced at the same time?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sensing a trend here. So Bilstein 4600s at all 4 corners if I'm looking for the stock ride height? I see reference to the 5100s as well but more specifically when people are using lift kits. I assume I'm also adding in the related upper mounts/bushings, bellows etc. Any particular brand to use or avoid for all that ancillary stuff? Anything else that I'm overlooking and/or that people find often need replaced at the same time?

4600s are just a drop-in replacement, so yes. At the time of replacement, I had no need to replace anything except the shocks. Of course it's a good idea to check everything out while you have it apart and see if anything else is looked ragged. For any added parts (if needed), I have a standard practice of avoiding generic brands and "economy" lines (whether it's a reputable brand or not) for any vehicle I expect to be driving for some time to come. If I'm selling it or expect to be retiring it in a year or two, I just get whatever is cheapest. :p

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4600s are just a drop-in replacement, so yes. At the time of replacement, I had no need to replace anything except the shocks. Of course it's a good idea to check everything out while you have it apart and see if anything else is looked ragged. For any added parts (if needed), I have a standard practice of avoiding generic brands and "economy" lines (whether it's a reputable brand or not) for any vehicle I expect to be driving for some time to come. If I'm selling it or expect to be retiring it in a year or two, I just get whatever is cheapest. :p

I've only had the truck for a few weeks and so far I've done brakes (calipers, rotors, pads and hoses at all 4 corners) and 4 new tires as well as plugs/coils and a trans drain/refill. Taking a look at all the suspension components though that time and nothing really jumps out as me as needing to be replaced immediately. However I am finding it rides a bit bouncy so at 94K miles I figured it was due for shocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69