Rear suspension options for towing - Rear only coil spacer option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arbetrader

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to expeditions, I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 Expedition max 4wd (Cdn equiv of EL) and we usually tow with 7-8 occupants (typically 7) plus a 6500lb trailer with about 750lb tongue weight once fully loaded up. It'll be pushing it for sure, but I have a base model XL (SSV) which gives the highest payload, I'm expecting payload to be more than 1500lb as it has no options (no sunroof, or power options).

I just sold my 2008 Toyota Sequoia, it had air suspension and only 1230lb payload, and I wanted something I could beef up the rear a bit with. To my dismay, I just found out that these expeditions have rear coilover struts which completely suck because I cannot put rear airbags in the coil which is what my plan was.

Anyway, I'm still thinking of buying this, picking it up on Friday. I want it to ride as level as possible. I would LOVE some input on this as to options (I have MANY years and miles of towing experience so don't need input about being overweight etc - to me safety/setup is of utmost importance even if the payload sticker is a bit over).

My #1 goal is for it to ride as level as possible.

I use an Anderson EQ hitch. I tend to crank it up a bit after connection, prior to tightening the chains to help with extra weight distr. It worked pretty well for me in the past.

It appears the expeditions sit about 1.5" or so higher in the back than the front, BUT I want to lift the truck slightly too, to clear 32.5-33" tires; say no more than 2" in the front, so I'd like at minimum a 2" spacer for the rear as well; so that it still sits a bit higher. I will always have people in there, and/or tow weight, so I really want the back to always be a bit higher than the front.

What are the best options? If I go Bilstein I'm looking at the 5100 coilovers, can I set the rear slightly higher than the front?

I'm so frustrated after finding out I cannot get airbags for the back. Unless I go with these? They do make them for late model Expys as well. https://www.airbagit.com/Air-Suspension-kits-Rear-axle-p/fbx-r-lin-27.htm

I really want a bit of lift... But don't want to sacrifice rear sag as a result. Need a rear only coil spacer option of about 2-2.5" so I can run my 2" fronts and use these: https://www.amazon.ca/SuperSprings-...springs+ford+expedition&qid=1614803966&sr=8-2

Thoughts on this? I know I'm all over the place. Any of you like the look of a small lift, and still want to tow safely with a large family?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to expeditions, I'm in the process of purchasing a 2015 Expedition max 4wd (Cdn equiv of EL) and we usually tow with 7-8 occupants (typically 7) plus a 6500lb trailer with about 750lb tongue weight once fully loaded up. It'll be pushing it for sure, but I have a base model XL (SSV) which gives the highest payload, I'm expecting payload to be more than 1500lb as it has no options (no sunroof, or power options).

I just sold my 2008 Toyota Sequoia, it had air suspension and only 1230lb payload, and I wanted something I could beef up the rear a bit with. To my dismay, I just found out that these expeditions have rear coilover struts which completely suck because I cannot put rear airbags in the coil which is what my plan was.

Anyway, I'm still thinking of buying this, picking it up on Friday. I want it to ride as level as possible. I would LOVE some input on this as to options (I have MANY years and miles of towing experience so don't need input about being overweight etc - to me safety/setup is of utmost importance even if the payload sticker is a bit over).

I use an Anderson EQ hitch. I tend to crank it up a bit after connection, prior to tightening the chains to help with extra weight distr. It worked pretty well for me in the past.

It appears the expeditions sit about 1.5" or so higher in the back than the front, BUT I want to lift the truck slightly too, to clear 32.5-33" tires; say no more than 2" in the front, so I'd like at minimum a 2" spacer for the rear as well; so that it still sits a bit higher. I will always have people in there, and/or tow weight, so I really want the back to always be a bit higher than the front.

What are the best options? If I go Bilstein I'm looking at the 5100 coilovers, can I set the rear slightly higher than the front?

I'm so frustrated after finding out I cannot get airbags for the back. Unless I go with these? They do make them for late model Expys as well. https://www.airbagit.com/Air-Suspension-kits-Rear-axle-p/fbx-r-lin-27.htm

I really want a bit of lift... But don't want to sacrifice rear sag as a result. Need a rear only coil spacer option of about 2-2.5" so I can run my 2" fronts and use these: https://www.amazon.ca/SuperSprings-...springs+ford+expedition&qid=1614803966&sr=8-2

Thoughts on this? I know I'm all over the place. Any of you like the look of a small lift, and still want to tow safely with a large family?

the 5100 bilstein fronts can adjust to add 1” of lift, the rears can add 1.5” of lift.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was on a similar quest and was calling everyone. The first post in this thread may be useful to you:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/heavy-towing-load-handling-rear-suspension.42800/

I ended up going with Rancho quicklift struts and custom coils from http://www.coilsprings.com/ Those coils made all the difference. The Ranchos...not so much as one of the rears is already blown and leaking after 30k miles.

In the very near future (they're on the truck for delivery as I type this) I'm replacing the Ranchos with Bilstein 5100s and the custom rear coils. I spec'ed them at 900# with a +1" ride height, which combined with the Bilstein adjustment range should give exactly the ride height I'm looking for.

Good luck on your search. These trucks are damn nice once they're dialed in but getting them there can be a challenge due to the general lack of aftermarket support relative to F150s and the like.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What does the sticker inside near your driver door say the payload is for your vehicle?

Conrad Penner

Reaction score
I was on a similar quest and was calling everyone. The first post in this thread may be useful to you:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/heavy-towing-load-handling-rear-suspension.42800/

I ended up going with Rancho quicklift struts and custom coils from http://www.coilsprings.com/ Those coils made all the difference. The Ranchos...not so much as one of the rears is already blown and leaking after 30k miles.

In the very near future (they're on the truck for delivery as I type this) I'm replacing the Ranchos with Bilstein 5100s and the custom rear coils. I spec'ed them at 900# with a +1" ride height, which combined with the Bilstein adjustment range should give exactly the ride height I'm looking for.

Good luck on your search. These trucks are damn nice once they're dialed in but getting them there can be a challenge due to the general lack of aftermarket support relative to F150s and the like.
Hey MJP2, Im curious about these custom rear coils you are talking about. I didnt realize this was an option. Where do you get these? Are these a Bilstein item?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey MJP2, Im curious about these custom rear coils you are talking about. I didnt realize this was an option. Where do you get these? Are these a Bilstein item?
Follow the link in my post above. coilsprings.com

You'll provide you vehicle specs and factory stock spring part # along with what you're looking to achieve (spring rate change, ride height increase/decrease, etc.) and they'll spec out the right solution. Cost is only slightly more than buying new stock coils from Ford.

OP
OP
A

arbetrader

Reaction score
What does the sticker inside near your driver door say the payload is for your vehicle?

1608. Interesting thing manufacturers put the payload amount it on the tire placard, rather than the weights placard isn't it? I have a theory about that. Most weigh stations only care about GVWR and GCVWR as those are the numbers they look at.

They payload is a derivative of many things - not just axle rating/spring rates/wheel load rating etc - It's has just as much (maybe even more) to do with the tires the vehicle comes delivered with. In this case, P rated passenger tire. I noticed a huge difference in handling under load once the tires were upgraded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

arbetrader

Reaction score
Follow the link in my post above. coilsprings.com

You'll provide you vehicle specs and factory stock spring part # along with what you're looking to achieve (spring rate change, ride height increase/decrease, etc.) and they'll spec out the right solution. Cost is only slightly more than buying new stock coils from Ford.

How does it drive unladen? Or with only a few people? Also, did you change out the front springs too? Or leave those stock ford?

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1608. Interesting thing manufacturers put the payload amount it on the tire placard, rather than the weights placard isn't it? I have a theory about that. Most weigh stations only care about GVWR and GCVWR as those are the numbers they look at.

They payload is a derivative of many things - not just axle rating/spring rates/wheel load rating etc - It's has just as much (maybe even more) to do with the tires the vehicle comes delivered with. In this case, P rated passenger tire. I noticed a huge difference in handling under load once the tires were upgraded.

Some of it would be tires but it would also be the other equipment it comes with including the gear ratio in rear diff, super cooling radiator option and transmission cooler. Does the ssv come with the tow package with all these things? That's sweet stuff if it does. :cheers:

Last edited: