Rear suspension options for towing - Rear only coil spacer option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

arbetrader

Reaction score
Some of it would be tires but it would also be the other equipment it comes with including the gear ration in rear diff, super cooling radiator option and transmission cooler. Does the ssv come with the tow package with all these things? That's sweet stuff if it does. :cheers:

Yes mine has the HD tow pkg incl cooler and integrated trailer brake and anti-sway control. 3.73 gears w/ the ecoboost.

Anyway I think those options wouldn't have much to do with the payload, and more to do with max towing ratings, which are 2 totally different things.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does it drive unladen? Or with only a few people? Also, did you change out the front springs too? Or leave those stock ford?
Pleasantly stiffer unloaded. I'm running Rancho Quick Lift struts in the front.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
750 pound tongue weight + 1050 pounds people (7 at 150 pound average) = 1800 pounds. Exceeds the GVWR of the Expedition. And most F150 pickups (although cramming all the people into one would be difficult). BandAiding it to "tow level" won't change that. It's not just tires and springs, it's the entire suspension and chassis.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
A

arbetrader

Reaction score
Hey Kjhawkeye1, I noticed in your sig you have the sumo springs, is it the coil spring insert that you use? If it is, have you ever towed with it and what has been your loaded/unloaded experience with them? I'm wondering if they might just crush under load or not?

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Kjhawkeye1, I noticed in your sig you have the sumo springs, is it the coil spring insert that you use? If it is, have you ever towed with it and what has been your loaded/unloaded experience with them? I'm wondering if they might just crush under load or not?

Put them in this January and will hook up the camper in May. Could let you know about hauling then. I did notice the ride changed for the better with them in though except when it was -25 in Wisconsin. They made the truck rougher than hell over every bump. Felt like we were riding in a covered wagon. Smoothed back out after it warmed back up.

OP
OP
A

arbetrader

Reaction score
Ok I just ordered Bilstein 5100's front and back. They are on backorder but should receive them in 3-4 weeks, perfect timing to pull my trailer out of winter storage. I think I'm going to try them along with the sumo springs for the time being. I'll try to dial in the lift as best as possible and try driving it a bit to test it out prior to doing a potential rear spring upgrade.

OP
OP
A

arbetrader

Reaction score
Actually my rear end is sagging already I think it needs new rear springs. Are there any factory replacement coil options that are a bit stiffer than stock that anyone could recommend?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually my rear end is sagging already I think it needs new rear springs. Are there any factory replacement coil options that are a bit stiffer than stock that anyone could recommend?
Nothing factory but you can have some made.

stil

Reaction score
I was towing a 33ft TT with my 16 max tow EL. 7600lbs. sagged no matter what. Despite the 920lb max tongue weight with weight distribution, not sure these were really set up to not sag.

I used to tow it with a 17 F150. Dumped the 16 EL for a 2018 F150.