Rear Wiper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LastExpo2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My rear wiper only goes up when it wants to. When I turn the switch, you can hear the motor running but no blade going up. What could this be?

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The real answer now, sorry about my smart a$$ comment, if the motor is making a noise it could be either weak, or something internal could be broke. I would pull the wiper arm off and see if it is moving..

Does your rig have intermitent rear wipers? If so, the actual switch or relay controlling the speed of the wiper may be bad as well.

cnovalles73

Reaction score
The wiper on mine doesn't make any noise at all and I bought it this way. I've seen a bunch at the junk yard but how do I know if the ones there are working with no power to test them? I live in Florida where it rains a LOT so this IS an issue that needs addressing....

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
On my 2000 I had the same issue...So, I decided to pull the cover off the lift gate....what I found was that Ford used a cheap ass 3 leg bracket to hold the rear wiper into place...from opening and slamming the gate shut from the force and the weight of the wiper motor it snapped the weakest support leg...and cocking the motor...So after taking it all apart...this bracket comes off the motor..so I thought just get a new bracket right? WRONG....Aftermarket dont have them even on a replacement wiper motor..you have to use the one you have...well if its broke your screwed....so I called the Ford dealer and had to fax a picture over to them....you can get the bracket from Ford, however it only comes with the new motor....So, I figured screw it...I will buy all and be done with it...Problem solved...worked great...Now when I close my rear hatch I shut it very easy.....after a while later and got this all back together I started sniffin in E-bay....and what do you think I found???? I have attached both links below....hope this helps and saves you what I had to pay from Ford..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...ake:Ford|Model:Expedition&hash=item588fe2f836

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...:Expedition&hash=item35b434cdd3#ht_3909wt_927

cnovalles73

Reaction score
....ok so what if my wiper isn't working at all? I've seen a bunch at the junk yard but of course no power to test it...should I try my luck or is this just one of those things I'm better off buying new?

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Well the back cover of you gate has to come off regardless....I would take it off and see what your dealing with...if your mount is broken...more than likely that's what you will find at the junkyard as well...if its something that you don't use much of then also try used....if you plan on using it all the time...then my suggestion is new. My 5 cents worth.