recirc heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mh68

Reaction score
its a timed circuit, just like the rear defrost or your seat heaters.
its not "supposed" to be on all the time, but it sure would be nice if it did. my 05 f150 could stay on all the time. that was like a blast furnace inside the cab. It was great.

It will also shut off the recirculation when I switch to different vent positions. My friend has an 03 EB and his doesn't do that.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the Ford Service Manual:
"Recirculated air is only used during MAX A/C, AUTOMATIC (if equipped with EATC) and OFF modes."
"When MAX A/C is selected:

The air inlet duct door is at full vacuum, closing off outside air and admitting only recirculated air.
The panel/defrost door is at full vacuum and the floor/panel door is in the no vacuum position, directing airflow to the instrument panel A/C register (19893).
The temperature is usually set for maximum cold but may be heated if desired.
Air will be picked up at the recirc opening by the blower motor (18527). Within the A/C control set for maximum cold, airflow across the A/C evaporator core (19860) will be diverted past the heater core (18476) and then directed into the passenger compartment through the instrument panel A/C register. There is also some airflow to the AC side window demisters.
The A/C compressor (19703) will be enabled when MAX A/C is selected.
The blower motor is on. "

Easiest thing to do would be put a cut off switch on the a/c compressor so that you could kill power to it during the winter months. Run the heat using the max a/c setting, turn the temp selector for the desired temp and enjoy.
I would not completely disconnect the compressor in case you need it for the defrost mode.

Another method would require applying full vac to the inlet duct door when in the heat mode. That isn't too hard but would require a second selector or solenoid setup.

A third option would be to wire the blower motor independent of the usual control. That would allow you to run the system in the "OFF" position and still be able to recirculate the air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks but does it specify the same w/o eatc?

It's more than the compressor kicking on. I'll have to verify but it feels like the blend door is changing to cold. I've used ac with heat in my other vehicles and it doesn't take away all the heat. It shouldn't even be kicking on at these temps.

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took a long time to look this up, but I think I found the answer. It isn't a timed circuit. It's the heater control valve and it blocks the coolant flow through the heater core in Max A/C and off positions only by applying a vacuum which explains why it slowly gets cold and I don't hear any doors moving. I'll have to cap the line going to this part to make it work. I had the schematics all along, I was just too lazy to look. This applies to the manual A/C setup, I don't know about the others.

Update: looked at schematics for eatc and it only shuts off the heater core in the off position. Spent a few hours looking for it and finally gave up and googled it. The picture on the Ford parts site is misleading. It's in the engine bay and easily accessible. I plugged the line and works great now on max A/C.

Last edited: