Recoating power running board step pad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snolvr

Reaction score
My 2013 Gator’s running board has lost it’s coating, too. I’ve used a skid-resistant product called Duraback on my boat that seems almost indestructible and was thinking of using that ... anyone have experience with it for this?

Reaction score
I coated mine with flat black Rusoleum Bed Liner (spray can version) after a wash down with acetone. Available at Lowe’s and WalMart. Mine were not the folding style but this should work. It gives a nice nonslip texture and still looks like new after a year of use and many power washes. Use one can for each running board, 1/2 can for rear bumper step and I even removed my cowl grill and spayed that. It all looks great! Be sure to cover the surrounding areas (driveway and body paint) by at least 2 to 3 feet as the spray gets out of control at times.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my expy the “dealer” had sprayed down the ribbed black pad portion of the running board with tire shine. It was super slippery (I washed it off best I could) and is now faded and still slippery when wet. I have several orthopedic issues and slipping on the step when wet will be inherently bad for my health.

I have been contemplating removing the steps, stripping the ribbed step pad and spraying with a “rubberized bed coating” and adding a “traction aide” (sprinkling play sand on while the bed coating is wet).

Thoughts?

Any other ideas?

Rubbing alcohol + heat gun (NOT at the same time lol)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I coated mine with flat black Rusoleum Bed Liner (spray can version) after a wash down with acetone. Available at Lowe’s and WalMart. Mine were not the folding style but this should work. It gives a nice nonslip texture and still looks like new after a year of use and many power washes. Use one can for each running board, 1/2 can for rear bumper step and I even removed my cowl grill and spayed that. It all looks great! Be sure to cover the surrounding areas (driveway and body paint) by at least 2 to 3 feet as the spray gets out of control at times.

Whaaaaat??

Rusto Liner is just heavier duty plastidip, how on earth did that hold up to people scraping boots over it???

Some i sprayed in my wheel liners peeled up after driving thru semi-flooded areas in a tropical storm...

Or did you use an older formula that's different???

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used this also on my folding running boards after careful preparation, and it has held up reasonably well (about 2 years now), however, there is about a 3" circle worn off where I step each time. It will need done again this summer I think, and I'll look for something different to use this time. I had no prior experience with this stuff when I did it, and wish I'd found something else.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used this also on my folding running boards after careful preparation, and it has held up reasonably well (about 2 years now), however, there is about a 3" circle worn off where I step each time. It will need done again this summer I think, and I'll look for something different to use this time. I had no prior experience with this stuff when I did it, and wish I'd found something else.

Good to know. I haven’t gotten to this project yet