Recoating power running board step pad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my expy the “dealer” had sprayed down the ribbed black pad portion of the running board with tire shine. It was super slippery (I washed it off best I could) and is now faded and still slippery when wet. I have several orthopedic issues and slipping on the step when wet will be inherently bad for my health.

I have been contemplating removing the steps, stripping the ribbed step pad and spraying with a “rubberized bed coating” and adding a “traction aide” (sprinkling play sand on while the bed coating is wet).

Thoughts?

Any other ideas?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea, but they make spray step coating that might be more suited for this. I think the sprinkling sand would be too much. Maybe something like this?

Mine has the coating rubbed off entirely on the driver's side, I've been thinking about trying a black paint or something covered with that anti-slip spray, but I haven't done anything yet.

Interested to see how yours turns out.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea, but they make spray step coating that might be more suited for this. I think the sprinkling sand would be too much. Maybe something like this?

Mine has the coating rubbed off entirely on the driver's side, I've been thinking about trying a black paint or something covered with that anti-slip spray, but I haven't done anything yet.

Interested to see how yours turns out.

Interesting. Wonder how much of a traction aide it adds.

I thought about the play sand because that is what is used in marine paint as well as deck coatings as a traction aide. Figured it was a cheap and readily available remedy. Have seen people cup a DRY handful of sand and use the air nozzle from a compressor to spray it onto steps.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would work, but it's very rough. I guess I wouldn't do it because my kids use the running board to climb in and they like to slip and play sand would turn a mild bruise into a bruise with a nice scrape to go along with it.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would work, but it's very rough. I guess I wouldn't do it because my kids use the running board to climb in and they like to slip and play sand would turn a mild bruise into a bruise with a nice scrape to go along with it.

No kids here. It is extremely rare to have any children ride in my truck.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In aviation we use brush-on and stick-on wing walk compounds and in my experience nothing out of an aerosol can ever lasts or is worth a crap. 3M makes a super durable stick-on which is used on indoor and outdoor stairwell treads as well as handicap ramps.

Grainger or any aircraft supply near an airport should have exactly what you need. Or a buddy over at USMC New River...

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In aviation we use brush-on and stick-on wing walk compounds and in my experience nothing out of an aerosol can ever lasts or is worth a crap. 3M makes a super durable stick-on which is used on indoor and outdoor stairwell treads as well as handicap ramps.

Grainger or any aircraft supply near an airport should have exactly what you need. Or a buddy over at USMC New River...

I contemplated that; the epoxybased based brush on that is used on rotary. But, it is a textured finish and no actual traction aid. The stick on stuff they use on the 53 and 22 ramps is straight crap. Constantly peeling and re-applying it. May meet NAVAIR spec but its not long term durable. My goal is to do it once and be done with it.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got several options. You can replace the running boards (solves both the fade and traction issues), apply a non-skid paint (use a brush/roller type, not spray), or clean the surface really well and apply the stick-on strips. The amount of traction you need is not high; just enough to hold your foot in place when its wet.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my expy the “dealer” had sprayed down the ribbed black pad portion of the running board with tire shine. It was super slippery (I washed it off best I could) and is now faded and still slippery when wet. I have several orthopedic issues and slipping on the step when wet will be inherently bad for my health.

I have been contemplating removing the steps, stripping the ribbed step pad and spraying with a “rubberized bed coating” and adding a “traction aide” (sprinkling play sand on while the bed coating is wet).

Thoughts?

Any other ideas?
WeatherTech makes a dressing for their floor liners that keeps them from becoming slippery. Perhaps something like that would work. https://www.amazon.com/WeatherTech-...516820437&sr=1-1&keywords=weathertech+cleaner

81WoFhP1-%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you though about wire brushing it? Running some nice, long uniform strokes with a brass brush on a drill motor might imbibe the surface with the grip that you need, failing that, it certainly prepares it for any abrasive epoxy you chose to lay.

I admit US that at first I thought "man, just wipe it clean" but your right, I don't trust my foot grip on those things in the wet or snow...too slick, and mine never got that special dealer treatment!

good luck
jeff