Recommendations for rear shocks & smooth ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ride has gotten very bouncy. It's almost like there's very little dampening of the spring. The original shocks began leaking about 2 years ago and I replaced them with Monroe. I live in North Texas where there is a lot of clay soil and due to contraction and expansion of the clay the roads get really rough - they repair them all the time.

I have Monroe's on the front and they are fine. It's just the rear. Little bumps are not a problem but if I go over a slightly bigger bump that's when it bounces 3-4 times and it shouldn't be doing that. At first the Monroe's were great, but now - not so much. So if I am going to replace them I'm not eager to put Monroe's back on.

I've heard Bilstein makes a really good shock but don't have any experience. I have tried KYB for my wife's car and they seem pretty good. They were pretty stiff at first but settled in after a few weeks.

I don't mind spending extra money. I just want something reliable that will provide a smooth ride.
I doubt it any shocks are going to last long on those roads.

rameredit

Reaction score
Thanks. I've been thinking about Bilstein. I understand they don't come with the lower spring collar and you have to use the one off of the OEM shocks. I don't know if the last ones that replaced the OEM have a removable collar. Did you buy the whole rear strut or did you get one with a lower spring collar?

This was for my '12. All 4 collars were moved from the OEM shocks to the new 4600s. I bought/installed new OEM coils as well.

Greg S

Reaction score
I just replaced my factory shocks and springs on my '16 Expy EL XLT at 99K miles with the KYB Strut-Plus assemblies. I love the thought of the Bilsteins but didn't want to have to compress my springs to install them, so I went with the assemblies. I've got about 700 miles on them since replacement and have been really happy with them so far. The ride is much firmer then before but nice and solid. I also added the 3/2 ReadyLift at the same time. No telling how long the KYBs will last but I'm happy with them so far.

dajrdajr

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the stock suspension? Are stock shocks no good?
Well, on my 2017 2wd standard wb both of factory rear shocks started leaking after 14 months, about 14k miles. No towing and only good roads. They replaced them under warranty. Replacements lasted about a year, around the 26k miles mark, replaced again under warranty. Hoping that if the third set leaks, it is before the warranty expires.

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
Well, on my 2017 2wd standard wb both of factory rear shocks started leaking after 14 months, about 14k miles. No towing and only good roads. They replaced them under warranty. Replacements lasted about a year, around the 26k miles mark, replaced again under warranty. Hoping that if the third set leaks, it is before the warranty expires.

Good grief. I think I will get mine checked the next time mine's in the shop after this ('15 with 60k).

dajrdajr

Reaction score
Good grief. I think I will get mine checked the next time mine's in the shop after this ('15 with 60k).
Apparently it is a problem that Ford knows about and isn't worth them fixing. Both times it started with a golden, clear puddle on the garage floor. Biggest hassle was that both times had to leave it overnight because they don't stock those shocks at the dealer typically. I don't have the HD tow package, don't know if shocks are different on HD.