Recommendations for rear shocks & smooth ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
Apparently it is a problem that Ford knows about and isn't worth them fixing. Both times it started with a golden, clear puddle on the garage floor. Biggest hassle was that both times had to leave it overnight because they don't stock those shocks at the dealer typically. I don't have the HD tow package, don't know if shocks are different on HD.

I've seen no signs of any leaking yet at this point. Doesn't mean they couldn't go at any time.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently it is a problem that Ford knows about and isn't worth them fixing. Both times it started with a golden, clear puddle on the garage floor. Biggest hassle was that both times had to leave it overnight because they don't stock those shocks at the dealer typically. I don't have the HD tow package, don't know if shocks are different on HD.

Same shocks on HD tow

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced my factory shocks and springs on my '16 Expy EL XLT at 99K miles with the KYB Strut-Plus assemblies. I love the thought of the Bilsteins but didn't want to have to compress my springs to install them, so I went with the assemblies. I've got about 700 miles on them since replacement and have been really happy with them so far. The ride is much firmer then before but nice and solid. I also added the 3/2 ReadyLift at the same time. No telling how long the KYBs will last but I'm happy with them so far.
That's why I would get Monroe's and same springs.........

Papaboo

Reaction score
I told the dealer what I wanted and he replaced all four, the newer coil spring around the strut calmed down the ride and is smoother, just my feel with my vehicle. It is pampered and well taken care of and looks just like it did when I drove it home.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I told the dealer what I wanted and he replaced all four, the newer coil spring around the strut calmed down the ride and is smoother, just my feel with my vehicle. It is pampered and well taken care of and looks just like it did when I drove it home.
You got lucky that time.

dajrdajr

Reaction score
Friends have a 2017 Limited, HD tow pkg, bought in early 2018. After putting a total of 175 miles in last four months because of Covid-19, found out their rear shock are leaking. They are not happy since we had told them about how we are on third set of shocks with 29k total miles on ours.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friends have a 2017 Limited, HD tow pkg, bought in early 2018. After putting a total of 175 miles in last four months because of Covid-19, found out their rear shock are leaking. They are not happy since we had told them about how we are on third set of shocks with 29k total miles on ours.
They all leaked ? What kind?

dajrdajr

Reaction score
All the leaking rear shocks are factory Ford shocks. Since both vehicles are under warranty, they won't replace them with anything but the Ford product. Our friend is trying the "lemon law" approach to Ford since these shocks have been failing, Ford knows about it, and replacements are also failing.

dajrdajr

Reaction score
Talked to Ford customer support today. Explained that we bought the vehicle new Dec 2017. After 14k miles, both rear shocks leaking, replaced under warranty at the dealer we bought it from. At 28k miles, replacement set leaking, replaced under warranty at local Lincoln dealer. Explained to customer service concern that these were likely to fail just after warranty runs out in Dec 2020. They said their was nothing wrong with the shocks, they would not authorize alternative shocks or provide and extension of warranty for the shock issue. Suggested we contact Ford Marketing, which we did. Have a case number and waiting for the "customer exchange" rep to call.

Don't plan on getting any easy support from Ford.

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Bilstein Expedtion 5100's for my '15 XLT as my ride has gotten quite bouncy at 62k. I'm anxious to get them installed as I heard they are quite the improvement over stock.