Refreshed Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to it. If Sync 4 and a larger screen are coming, that would be a great improvement. Our 2018 Expy lease expires in June, so not quite in-time to take delivery of a 2022 model. I'm thinking of leasing a GMC Yukon XL Denali for 24 months, and then take a 2023 Expy Platinum, which should have any kinks from the refresh worked out.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be cool to see the PowerBoost as an option, 570 lb ft!!! GM recently put out a survey on if buyers would like a hybrid 6.2 and many responded positively. The horsepower wars are heating up. I’m curious how Ford is handling the Raptor since the Limited is now just the standard 400 hp engine. Is the HO gone? I’ve heard the Raptor is going to be the PowerBoost but that’s a heavy package. Spurces also say Ford is going to make a new limited # Raptor trim with the 5.2L Predator GT-500 engine to hit back the TRX. Even at 5.2 Liters with a supercharger they are still down on RAM’s 6.2L Hellcat engine by a whole liter in displacement. I guess we will see if those better breathing 4-valve heads can feed enough air to compete with TRX. It’s on a whole other level compared to the current Raptor, it blew the HO 3.5 out of the water in TFL’s testing by over 2 seconds 0-60.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be cool to see the PowerBoost as an option, 570 lb ft!!! GM recently put out a survey on if buyers would like a hybrid 6.2 and many responded positively. The horsepower wars are heating up. I’m curious how Ford is handling the Raptor since the Limited is now just the standard 400 hp engine. Is the HO gone? I’ve heard the Raptor is going to be the PowerBoost but that’s a heavy package. Spurces also say Ford is going to make a new limited # Raptor trim with the 5.2L Predator GT-500 engine to hit back the TRX. Even at 5.2 Liters with a supercharger they are still down on RAM’s 6.2L Hellcat engine by a whole liter in displacement. I guess we will see if those better breathing 4-valve heads can feed enough air to compete with TRX. It’s on a whole other level compared to the current Raptor, it blew the HO 3.5 out of the water in TFL’s testing by over 2 seconds 0-60.

I didn't think Ford would add the Powerboost without redoing the entire vehicle, but they did add the Ecboost during a refresh, so who knows? GM needs to step it up...Barra is saying they're going to lead in EVs, but lately they've been following in everything else (interior, quality, engines, off-road trims) The Raptor will likely get two engine options, to preserve pricing flexibility. I don't think the 5.2 will have any problem keeping up with the Hellcat. The DOHC head naturally flows better, so it's easier to make higher HP numbers without running more boost at high RPM. Biggest challenge might be cooling, but the Raptor will have more frontal area and engine bay space as compared to a GT500 with the same engine. If GM had brought the new Hummer in closer to the 80K price point, would've been nice to see a comparison. The lower fuel consumption and maintenance would have made up for the price disparity.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think Ford would add the Powerboost without redoing the entire vehicle, but they did add the Ecboost during a refresh, so who knows? GM needs to step it up...Barra is saying they're going to lead in EVs, but lately they've been following in everything else (interior, quality, engines, off-road trims) The Raptor will likely get two engine options, to preserve pricing flexibility. I don't think the 5.2 will have any problem keeping up with the Hellcat. The DOHC head naturally flows better, so it's easier to make higher HP numbers without running more boost at high RPM. Biggest challenge might be cooling, but the Raptor will have more frontal area and engine bay space as compared to a GT500 with the same engine. If GM had brought the new Hummer in closer to the 80K price point, would've been nice to see a comparison. The lower fuel consumption and maintenance would have made up for the price disparity.

I think the new V8 Raptor will have no problem keeping up with TRX in the 1/4 mile I’m not arguing that. My suspicion is out of the hole, that 6.2 in the RAM has gobs of tire shredding torque low down. We know the 5.2 can out do the Hellcat in the GT500, but that’s in a lighter and more aerodynamic car where horsepower is king. But does the same hold true in a heavy truck? I guess we will find out. I’m sure Ford doesn’t want to let RAM keep the crown long.

As long as GM holds true to the promises on Hummer EV it will blow all of these gas powered mills out of the water. 3.0 seconds 0-60.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the new V8 Raptor will have no problem keeping up with TRX in the 1/4 mile I’m not arguing that. My suspicion is out of the hole, that 6.2 in the RAM has gobs of tire shredding torque low down. We know the 5.2 can out do the Hellcat in the GT500, but that’s in a lighter and more aerodynamic car where horsepower is king. But does the same hold true in a heavy truck? I guess we will find out. I’m sure Ford doesn’t want to let RAM keep the crown long.

As long as GM holds true to the promises on Hummer EV it will blow all of these gas powered mills out of the water. 3.0 seconds 0-60.

Even if the Ram is quicker off the line, the engines will hit peak RPM quickly and stay there during an acceleration run. If the V8 Raptor uses Ford's aluminum body components, it will retain its nearly 1,000lb advantage over the TRX, so at equivalent horsepower levels, it will likely be faster everywhere. Ford could conceivably add the Powerboost components and eke out even more power without matching the TRXs weight. Either way, us consumers are winning with all the choices coming to the market. I'm in pancake flat southeast Texas...reading about these trucks makes me want to find someplace to go offroading.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
either way, that huge disgusting touchpad sticking out of the dash is a deal breaker for me. I'd buy something else, I hate that.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
either way, that huge disgusting touchpad sticking out of the dash is a deal breaker for me. I'd buy something else, I hate that.

Doesn't your wife have a navigator though lol?