Regular vs. Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gural

Reaction score
I live in the city and having a short version is a letter idea
I can not find a parking place which have more then 200 inch
so every time I need to park on more then one place... lucky the are so many small electrics :D

And regargind the place i got 3 seats in 2 row
and if I got with bigger group I got a box on the roof and I can always put a box on the trailer hitch

Mxer0022

Reaction score
Depends on how much your wife likes to pack on trips. It could be just us two and we would have to have the max to accommodate all the cargo she packs. We could go on a 2 day trip and you'd think we were leaving for 2 weeks. Now add 4 boys and a large goldendoodle and we are completely loaded.

Gmas15

Reaction score
Well, we're a very active family. Camping, ski trips, beach, DIY runs, youth sports coach, tow a camper, you name it. Regular length has been fine for us. Sure, on some fully loaded trips, I would liked the extra space, but it's marginal. I have a roof box for those trips. Also, like the OP, the vehicle fits better in the garage, easier to park, navigate in the city.

But, I would think with 3-4 kids and dog, and third row always up, then max would certainly be the way to go.

mhExped

Reaction score
...you could consider sticking with the regular length Expedition but with a bench seat 2nd row.
Agree 100% with this.

2nd row bench seat makes a huge difference in the regular length when you're packing lots of stuff in the rear cargo area with 3rd row seats folded flat + transporting people and dogs.

If 2nd row captain's chairs were a requirement, I'd only consider the Max.

For reference, we've got 3 kids (they and their stuff get bigger every day, btw) + dog with the regular Expy. When we haul lots of stuff, we often have 3rd row folded flat, cargo area filled to capacity, + roof top cargo box + small trailer. 2nd row bench seat makes it just workable, but if we were doing it over at this point we'd have gone with the Max.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have three kids and the oldes (4 years old) sits in the third row like you’re suggesting. It works well since she can buckle herself now. The reasons to get a max are if you want to transport drywall/plywood sheets, larger gas tank, and longer wheel base for towing. The extra trunk space probably isn’t a big difference maker if you’ll have the third row mostly folded anyway.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS I also recommend the middle row bench so you have more seating options. They fold out of the way very easily so it’s no problem to get back to the third row.

rick619

Reaction score
I have the regular and have 3 kids: 8, 10, 13. We also have 3 dogs. The regular length is perfect for us. We got one with the middle row captains chairs. If we have all 3 kids with us, one sits in the 3rd row. We wanted to be able to keep them as separate as possible. Plus everyone likes the arm rests with the captains chairs, a more luxury look and feel.

Plus, I would definitely get the regular if the max won't fit in your garage.

Dan B

Reaction score
We have a 2014 EL with captains chairs in the second row, and a 2020 with a bench second row. The EL is a bit more difficult to park, but with the back up mirror its not that much more work. Our kids are grown, but we travel long distances with 3 hunting dogs. They the dogs, much prefer the captains chairs because they can freely move to the back, where the 3rd row seats are typically down. My wife did have me make a box for the space between the second row seats that matches the height of the seats. The second row seats and space riser are typically covered with a moving blanket. There was space under the seat box for a drawer, as if we needed more storage.

Kanderson

Reaction score
We have had both the Max and the Regular. I got tired of the extra foot or more in the back. We have 5 people in our car on a regular basis. We put the oldest, in a booster seat now, in the back, and that way I can still fold down the larger side for luggage. If we need all the seats we have an attachable box for the back. I would want my car to fit in my garage.