Regular vs. Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedish4

Reaction score
I am sure there are lots of threads on this but wanted everyone's input on my specific situation. I ordered a 22 Regular w/ captains chairs but am second guessing if we should just order a Max.

Background: We currently only have one baby who is only 3 months old and a large dog. We do plan to have 1-2 more little rascals in the future so we wanted to consider long term for this purchase.

The kicker: Our garage can only fit the regular length. If we purchased the Max it would have to be outside. Unfortunately, I am a stickler with my vehicles so the idea of our new vehicle sitting outside makes me cringe a little. (Yes, yes I know.....first world problems) :)

We thought with the regular even with 3 kids (in the future) the dog could sit between the captains chairs and we could fold the two attached seats in the 3rd row down for extra cargo space. Would like everyone's input who may be in a similar situation. Any/all feedback is much appreciated!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is still a fair amount of room in the cargo area on the regular, if you only have one kid now and only plan to have 2-3 I think you will be fine with a regular and by the time you have that many kids I suspect it might almost be time to get a new rig anyway.

I have 5 kids and a max and its enough space most of the time. I might be getting a roof top box for the couple of trips a year where we need a little more room.

sliderz71

Reaction score
I think a regular is fine for one kid and a dog. We did a Honda Pilot and Buick Enclave up until got kid #3 (while also with a dog also onboard all the time). Kid #3 and we went to a Suburban (with a '22 Max on order now). When the kids get older, it isn't even just your family you factor in, but the car pools, play dates and such. The regular length will be fine for awhile.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you have will do the trick. By the time you add in a couple more kids, you'll likely be trading in this one for a Max anyway.

I have 3 kids, no dog. Rarely do we do road trips but the Max suits our needs perfectly, never a worry about space. We have the bench but I think I'd prefer the captains chairs. Trying to decide if I trade in my current for a '22, if so, I'd go captain chairs.

UAFlyfisher

Reaction score
We have two kids (9mo and 2.5y) plus our 65lb lab. We specifically went with a Max because we did not have enough space in our MB GL450. Even with the max, we have been tight on space for camping trips and high cargo trips like Christmas with the extended family. It will be a bit better when #2 gets a bit older and we are not carrying as much baby crap, but we plan to add #3 soonish so it will be a short reprieve. My advice is get the Max, it'll survive just fine outside, and the extra space is a huge bonus when you need it.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife roped us (me) into hauling around three young grandchildren so we have child car seats "latched" on either side of the third row. Without the ability to fold down the third row for additional storage, we bit the bullet and ordered a Max. Before that, MY plans for a next vehicle had been a SuperDuty crew cab (until wife overruled me), so when designing our current home, I made sure that the main garage would be deep and wide enough for a SuperDuty plus having an 8' tall x 18' wide garage door. If you do not have room in your garage for a Max, rather than leave it out in the elements and subject to nighttime break-ins, make do with the standard until you move to a home with a large enough garage for a Max.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had five kids in an Excursion for many years. They could have fit in a regular Expedition just as easily and parking would have been less of a headache. You'll be fine. Forget the buyers' remorse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett