Remote start on 2008 EL not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitro_Alltrac

Reaction score
I've done some searches but I didn't find anything that really seemed like my issue.

I just bought the truck about a week ago. It has the Ford remote start with the small additional fob with the single button.

I've tried the remote start several times but it just doesn't work. I watch the YouTube video about the possibility of the fob not being coded to the keys and the security light flashing when trying to activate the remote start (hit the lock button, hit the remote start twice). I'm getting nothing. Not flashing security light, nothing appearing to come on or work when the button is pushed.

My question is do I need to find the reset button under the dash and try resetting the system or do I need to look else where? It doesn't work with either fob. I am getting a red light on the fobs when I push the button. I'm guessing the battery is OK in the fob.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Do you hold the button for two full seconds until the horn honks? If the hood has a safety switch, it has to be closed and the switch properly adjusted.

If all else fails, there should be a programming button bundled against a harness coming from a small square unmounted control box near the steering column. It's a small button on a short wire that will be bundled with the others probably in a tie-wrap.

You have to spend some time searching for the manual on line and use the button and programming LED (also bundled with the harness) to reprogram it or troubleshoot. It's going to take a bit of time to find the manual but it's there. The remote is made by Code Alarm for Ford and was offered as a dealer-installed option at least from 2007 to perhaps 2014.

Unfortunately I've seen dealers cut off the programming button after installing so customers have to return to them.

Hope this can lead you in the right direction.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Thanks for telling me. Made my day!

While you're at it, you may want to see if it starts with the hood open. It shouldn't, but some dealers don't bother mounting the interlock switch. It would be a ***** if you had keys in you pocket while climbing inside the engine with your fingers in the fan and you leaned against the start button.

I found out by surprise. Good to know what you've got.

Here's a cool feature:

If the truck's running and you have to go into a store, you can hold the remote down until it the horn honks (2 seconds), then take the keys out. The truck will remain running without the keys in it. If anyone steps on the brake without putting the key in, it turns off. When you come back, put your key in, turn it on and away you go...

Also...

If you start it with the remote and you don't put the key in within 10 minutes, it shuts down.

OP
OP
Nitro_Alltrac

Nitro_Alltrac

Reaction score
Thanks for telling me. Made my day!

While you're at it, you may want to see if it starts with the hood open. It shouldn't, but some dealers don't bother mounting the interlock switch. It would be a ***** if you had keys in you pocket while climbing inside the engine with your fingers in the fan and you leaned against the start button.

I found out by surprise. Good to know what you've got.

Here's a cool feature:

If the truck's running and you have to go into a store, you can hold the remote down until it the horn honks (2 seconds), then take the keys out. The truck will remain running without the keys in it. If anyone steps on the brake without putting the key in, it turns off. When you come back, put your key in, turn it on and away you go...

Also...

If you start it with the remote and you don't put the key in within 10 minutes, it shuts down.

I appreciate the help! I had been messing with this for over a week since I had gotten the truck.

And thanks for the info on being able to leave the truck running by using the system. I had not seen that.

I do need to check about that hood switch. That could be a problem.