Remote Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS2295

Reaction score
Follow up: Well I took in my Expy for an oil change and to catch up on some warranty work. They needed to repair/replace some small trim items, fix a USB port, and look at the remote start via key fob. It wasn’t my imagination and the remote start was indeed having issues. I took it to my local dealer as I purchased out of town. They were a little befuddled and are trying to figure out if the remote start was installed by the dealership I purchased it from or if it was factory. Sure seems like factory to me, but they are looking into it. The remote start through the app works consistently well so I think this was a factory install. They say they replaced the ECM but that didn’t resolve the issue. They are speaking with a dealership that reports the same issue from an 2018 F150 and have a call in with the ford engineers. I’ll update later on final fix.

Did you ever find a fix for this remote start issue? My 2018 Expedition Max Limited is doing the same thing. Issue appears to only happen when the engine is cold. Really bizarre it trys to turn over. Remote start from the Fordpass app works everytime.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy but the dealership I purchased the XLT from had installed a second remote start module to the truck. The dealership that fixed the issue removed the hardware. They figured the dealership added the remote start system not knowing that it was a factory option and already installed. After removing the additional remote starter they reprogrammed the PCM.

My service advisor stated that he discovered the solution by looking into F150 issues and he said the F150s were getting secondary remote start modules installed at the docks after some of the trucks were imported from Mexico???

Hope that helps. I would ask them to check for a second remote start system. If one dealership installed a secondary module it’s possible many more did.

From my receipt:
“CHECKED FOR TSBS AND SSMS, NONE FOUND. USED IDS TO CHECK FOR DTCS AND NONE FOUND. PER WORKSHOP MANUAL, SEARCHED FOR ADD ON MODULES AND FOUND DEALER ADDED REMOTE START IGNITION MODULE. REMOVED ADD ON MODULE AND TESTED SYSTEM. SYSTEM IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME.”

Haven’t had any more problems with remote start.

Last edited:

JS2295

Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy but the dealership I purchased the XLT from had installed a second remote start module to the truck. The dealership that fixed the issue removed the hardware. They figured the dealership added the remote start system not knowing that it was a factory option and already installed. After removing the additional remote starter they reprogrammed the PCM.

My service advisor stated that he discovered the solution by looking into F150 issues and he said the F150s were getting secondary remote start modules installed at the docks after some of the trucks were imported from Mexico???

Hope that helps. I would ask them to check for a second remote start system. If one dealership installed a secondary module it’s possible many more did.

From my receipt:
“CHECKED FOR TSBS AND SSMS, NONE FOUND. USED IDS TO CHECK FOR DTCS AND NONE FOUND. PER WORKSHOP MANUAL, SEARCHED FOR ADD ON MODULES AND FOUND DEALER ADDED REMOTE START IGNITION MODULE. REMOVED ADD ON MODULE AND TESTED SYSTEM. SYSTEM IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME.”

Haven’t had any more problems with remote start.

That definitely sounds crazy... did you buy the truck from a Ford dealer?

Also, I think I solved the remote start issue I have been having. Holding down the remote start button on the second click seems to fix my issue.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck was purchased from a ford dealer brand new. Remote start is from the fob locks the doors and double click the remote start button

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My remote start from the key fob doesn't work with either fob. Fob shows a blinking red light which the manual says indicates "request failed or status not received". Remote start works fine with the phone app. I'll get it checked at my next oil change.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a dope. I thought the vehicle just had to locked for remote start to work. Nope, you need to press lock on the fob, then 2x on remote start- even if the vehicle is already locked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65