Repeated Waterpump Fails and frequent no Heat on 16'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 of the same failures, with in a year qualifies as a lemon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Depends on the state most require the issue to occur within the first 90 days of purchase. Plus they bought used which very few states have any lemon laws for used vehicles.

As for feeling bad for the dealer, DON’T.
3 water pump replacements in a years. I would not have taken it back to them for the 3rd time.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow that's unusual. Not sure what the issue is but man that would kill my confidence in the vehicle going forward. What happens is if it fails again over a year from now?

See if Ford can provide you with an extended Factory backed warranty on these repairs or for the whole vehicle for FREE. Who knows what else this would affect?

I would go to the service manager, then dealer manager, then Ford's regional manager to see what they can do for you as a dedicated customer.

With it being a 16 sold with only 12,000 miles on it, It makes me wonder if the vehicle had problems before and Ford bought it back, repaired it (supposedly) and put it back out for sale? Can the dealer pull up it's previous to you service records?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Evidently I've not spent much time under the hood of my Expedion. Which I'm OK with.

This week I've learned there is an electric pump that circulates water to the rear HVAC. Was news to me.

Several months ago I did replace what I thought was the heater hose on the passenger side- A line with a tee in it to feed water to the heater core at the firewall. So I struggle to understand - if a heater core is blocked, how and why would the water pump care? The water pump is still circulating fluid around the block and radiator.

Highways don't shut down when one exit ramp is closed is my pea-brain analogy.

Whats the PSI on your overflow box cap?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with those who have asked, what were the symptoms you noticed as a driver?

What you have said runs contrary to all evidence we have seen with Ford Expy pumps....so we're curious what's REALLY going on. Has the dealer found acquiescence in a client they keep going back to or is something really wrong?

I wonder if the drain is weeping and they are using that as evidence of a "Bad pump"?

jeff

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Who is saying the water pumps have failed?
What information are they using to determine the pump has failed?
What is the vehicle doing from your viewpoint?
Im Stamp on this one.

Whats up with the water pump? Leaking? Not moving fluid?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had no idea there was a pump for the rear heater...really
i need to crawl around bit under the vehicle and look around

my bus is 40 feet long and water pump is one end and the heater core is on the other.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with a plugged heater core should not affect water pump function. I'm going out on a limb here, but if that dealer keeps changing the pumps, I'm assuming their leaking. That and no heat intermittently, is why I came up with the plugged core, or some obstruction. Is this vehicle overheating at any time? You never said it did. Another thing that popped into my pea brain, what about electrolysis in motor blocking flow, causing the excessive pressure. Could be a weird casting flaw that they didn't catch when they built it. Whatever it is, this ones going to be a tough diagnostic.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the coolant is a mix using distilled water, electrolysis is a mute point.
Excessive pressure should open the relief on the cap and vent the excess pressure.

Better to wait on the OP for info on what the vehicle is doing to cause concern.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're only up to 20 posts. Wouldn't it be funny if something stupid like a bad cap or something simple is causing this. Usually is. I was reading online about a bent pulley on Volkswagens causing failures of pumps. Something to consider having shop check before they pop a 4th one on.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes