Replace roller rockers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Time to replace timing components in my '07. How many here have replaced the roller rockers at the same time, even if they appeared to be OK? My expy is bumping 189,000 and I plan to keep her right on through until one of us gives up the ghost hopefully not at the same time.

I can buy all 24 rockers for about $80 from Tasca...which, btw, is where I will buy all the timing components minus the oil pump for $573.92 (plus shipping) a savings over $300 from everything else I've found online for OEM components & sets.

So, curious to know. If you haven't replaced when doing the timing components, have you had to replace any due to regular wear & tear either prior to timing components or after?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the rollers on my 08 Mounty (passenger side only) at around 140k (4.6L V8). A couple of them on that side were clicking. Nothing else was changed, and we're now at 170+k.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I replaced the rollers on my 08 Mounty (passenger side only) at around 140k (4.6L V8). A couple of them on that side were clicking. Nothing else was changed, and we're now at 170+k.

I'm leaning toward replacing while it's apart. Would hate to have one or more begin clacking/failing after all the labor involved in the timing component replacement. BTW, was it JUST the rollers or did you have to replace the lifters as well?

Also, appears the newest version of rollers have a modified oil port. Much smaller. Apparently to allow more oil pressure to build. So, that settles it for me.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward replacing while it's apart. Would hate to have one or more begin clacking/failing after all the labor involved in the timing component replacement. BTW, was it JUST the rollers or did you have to replace the lifters as well?

Also, appears the newest version of rollers have a modified oil port. Much smaller. Apparently to allow more oil pressure to build. So, that settles it for me.
Just the rollers, and IIRC, you can do it without removing the upper end. Just remove the valve cover. If the cam is worn, you'll need to do that also. By worn, I mean a groove cut into the lobe. Anything less than that and you'll be okay.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Just the rollers, and IIRC, you can do it without removing the upper end. Just remove the valve cover. If the cam is worn, you'll need to do that also. By worn, I mean a groove cut into the lobe. Anything less than that and you'll be okay.

Got it. Ill already have cams off to inspect & for timing component replacement. So, best time to replace rollers is now. I have to buy the valve spring compression tool. $106 for OTC brand. Seems like the cheaper ones tend to break under stress. Found one from RBS international that has same description as OTC & looks identical except darker for $75

I eyeballed all the cheapos & OTC/RSB and there is a difference in casting lines...OTC/RSB look to be higher quality. Do you recall which brand you used?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it. Ill already have cams off to inspect & for timing component replacement. So, best time to replace rollers is now. I have to buy the valve spring compression tool. $106 for OTC brand. Seems like the cheaper ones tend to break under stress. Found one from RBS international that has same description as OTC & looks identical except darker for $75

I eyeballed all the cheapos & OTC/RSB and there is a difference in casting lines...OTC/RSB look to be higher quality. Do you recall which brand you used?
No, I had it done at the dealer.