Replace seized engine or replace truck? NEWBIE NEEDS HALP

Which to replace?

• Replace engine/exhaust/reseal current truck

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Cut my losses and scram to a new vehicle

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew M Davis

Reaction score
My 98 Expy EB 5.4L seized 2 months ago. Since then, I've been waffling between replacing it and replacing the engine.

Considerations-

-4r100 tranny was solid before seizure, no detectable leaks or issues with what's in the reservoir currently

-needs new muffler and exhaust, but everything in front of and including the Y is solid

-still need to fix windshield leak

-if I replace the engine and the truck is toast, it will take me a couple months to build up to a replacement, months I no longer have

-I bought it in June of this year and put about $800 into brakes and front suspension

-local engines range from $400-600, with 135k to 85k miles, respectively.

-I'm a musician, not a mechanic. I did the front suspension work myself, with borrowed tools, through attrition and because I'm apparently at least not too stupid to work on things like this, but this would be a multi-week project in Oct/Nov in Illinois, again with borrowed tools and attrition and youtube as a guide

I DID find a 2011 Expedition XL with 65k miles locally for under $10k asking price, which is becoming more attractive with every ° the temperature drops below 50.

Given this info, should I go for fixing the known quantity of issues on this truck, or start over with newer and *slightly* less likely to break me financially though monthly repairs? Any tips, advice, or informed opinions of any kind are welcome. Y'all are the best, and I appreciate it.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"I'm a musician, not a mechanic"

You've answered your question. Brake jobs are one thing, engine swaps are a totally different beast. Toss in your location, time of year and it would be an uphill battle unless you have a heated garage.

You Tube is good for basic info, what happens when you run into something that wasn't covered in the video, or the information is just wrong?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the 2011, the 5.4 3V and 6R80 are a dramatic improvement in power. Everything down to bolts and wiring harnesses are much newer. If you were mechanically inclined great, but if not the 98 can be a nightmare.

Plati

Reaction score
Do both.
Get the new one and give a shot at refurb the old one while in no hurry.
Sell one if you get both working

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Go for the new truck. You'll forget about the money it costs long before the old one stops giving you trouble. You're buying peace of mind and solutions to problems that you haven't even met yet.

The car's 23 years old. It deserves retirement.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those who haven't done the math, fixing a car is 99% of time, cheaper than replacement.

That said, this is an easy one......present truck is 20+ years old, EVERY component, wheel bearings, differential, emissions, electrical, fuse box all 20+ years old.

Cost to replace an engine of a truck owned for less than 6 months......after spending another grand on brakes, suspension in my opinion is tossing good after bad. I know it hurts but many of us have been there before....there's no shame in dumping a bad buy.

Sell and salvage what money you can and buy the newer truck.

jeff

OP
OP
M

Matthew M Davis

Reaction score
I guess I just needed to hear it from external sources, because all this makes great sense. Thanks a lot, folks.

I like the idea of keeping it and working on it over time, too. I can practice on it whatever work I end up doing on its replacement.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
having owned a 98, expedition a 03, an 08 and a 2011 I would suggest going for the new truck, 65K miles is nothing, the engine and transmission improved significantly since 98 and it will be so much more reliable!! The 2011 doesn't have the dodgy spark plugs, etc.. As stated if you can get an engine and swap it over next year (when its warmer) you can probably sell the old one to recover some of your money, but I think going for the $10K truck is a much better bet.

Gary