Replace Windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Safelite will install OEM if you insist and your insurance covers it, mine always did. Non OEM windshields could have clouds or other imperfections in the glass or lamination. Could be issues with glass hardness, sound proofing etc. Or it could be fine. Why take a chance. Yes I'm sure some one will point out that OEM can have it's issues as well. My 1995 Jeep had bad factory glass windshield when new and was replaced under warranty. The issue was in the lamination. My dad owned an auto body shop for many years and always recommended OEM glass to customers. Always it was used on our vehicles, he would make sure of it.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another issue with non OEM is the tint strip at the top. All my vehicles are clear, Safelite was told on the phone and approved by my insurance for OEM glass on my '06....they installed the aftermarket with the blue tinted top...I was not happy. I had them replace it with the non tinted OEM as they should have in the first place. My 2001 F350 needed a new windshield a couple of years ago, Safelite said it would take a week or so to get the OEM from the local Ford dealer or they could have aftermarket the next day, I took the time to wait.

Last edited:

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called safe lite this morning and told them to make sure that they used oem. I have a 250 deductible and not sure if I’ll have to pay the 79 difference for the oem or not. I need to call my insurance company. Allstate

Tom Tulloch

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. Mine is due for replacement also. I read the on other posts about the antenna and rain sensor in the windshield can make aftermarket installations touchy.