Replace Windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Any temperature (or other) concerns replacing the windshield in my 2017?

Took a stone chip smack in the center last week and now discovered there's a horizontal crack running right at and parallel to the left wiper -- which may be old and the location is why I've never seen it until now.

This will be professionally done and I figure I need to wait until warmer weather since there's no room in my garage. Ideal temperature?

Advice appreciated.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Took a stone chip smack in the center last week and now discovered there's a horizontal crack running right at and parallel to the left wiper -- which may be old and the location is why I've never seen it until now.

This will be professionally done and I figure I need to wait until warmer weather since there's no room in my garage. Ideal temperature?

Advice appreciated.

-- Chuck

I assume you have glass coverage with your insurance. File a claim.

Best glass shop in the RVA is Smileys! By far. Family owned and have been in business for decades. Only place I would let do any glass work. They don’t cut any corners, and are great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Advice appreciated.

-- Chuck

Perhaps schedule the glass replacement and ask the shop if you could park it inside their shop the night before, and leave it inside for a few hours after the repair?

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you call the shop they will tell you if the temperature is within acceptable parameters. Don't know of any glass shop that closes in the winter.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you call the shop they will tell you if the temperature is within acceptable parameters. Don't know of any glass shop that closes in the winter.

Correct. Might need a longer cure time, but as long as the Urethane was warm when it was applied, no issues. That is at least around here. Colder climates maybe.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had some glass put in a truck several years ago, winter. I had to drop it off and he kept in his shop all day, said I could come get it just before closing time.
Of course, out winter temps are typically lower than VA.....usually..

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had some glass put in a truck several years ago, winter. I had to drop it off and he kept in his shop all day, said I could come get it just before closing time.
Of course, out winter temps are typically lower than VA.....usually..

Yeah, better safe than sorry if below freezing, but it was 60 here today...been a weird winter.

When I was in High School and College my StepDad owned a mobile glass replacement company. Spent many a Summer and weekend replacing all kinds of glass.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also insist on OEM glass. Yes there is a difference.
How much of a difference??
I got safelite coming out Friday to replace my windshield. Haven't got a clue how it got cracked.