Replacement COPs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
I would like to replace the COPs. Where is the most economical place to buy a set, and which manufacturer/model would you recommend? I have the 5.4 Triton.

Thank you,

John O

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why are you changing coils? High mileage? If you have the typical rough idle, or slight stumble under accelaration, you might want to change coil wire and boots first. New ford coils run $80.00 each, best choice. I've seen full sets as low as $50.00. Don't know quality of something that cheap. Try boots/ wires first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Had the plugs changed by a mechanic about 2 years ago. This spring my intake manifold sprung a coolant link and was also changed. Shortly after that, COP #4 failed. I put in a replacement from a junk yard and that fixed the issue. Now #3 has failed. I can do a short term fix and get another salvage, but I think it is time for the full set to be replaced (about 200K miles on the original set in my 2000 Expy). I know that I have seen recommendations for good deals on well performing COP sets, but cannot seem to find them during my searches today. I was figuring that there may be new information on where to get the best priced set that is going to work well (not sure that I would trust the $56/set of 8 on Amazon).

Anyway, thank you for the advice. Still would like to know from others where they are now buying COP sets of 8 and how they are holding up.

Best,

John O

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are threads on here were guys have bought full sets pretty cheap. Read up on who had best luck.

OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
There are threads on here were guys have bought full sets pretty cheap. Read up on who had best luck.

Yes, I know that, but as indicated, when I search for those, I am not finding anything directly. The search term COP does not return anything. Just having a tough time finding the right thread. I am looking at one of the sponsors sites 1A-Auto, and they have a set for about $99. Has anyone had good luck with that set?

John O

OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
OK my friends,

Based on the VIN, the Ford parts website reports back that I need a 12029 (DG-481) coil. Does anyone know which engine this goes to (i.e. 5.4 2-valve, 5.4 3-valve, or 5.4 4-valve)? This seems to be quite important in ordering the correct aftermarket coils.

Thank you for any help on this.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your tag line is correct you have a 2000, which is a two valve.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dg 508 is what keeps coming up for 2000 5.4 motor! Fellas is that right?

OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Moose, Thank you for sticking with this.

I called local Ford Dealership. Based on VIN, it is a 2-valve. The specific Ford part is listed as the DG-481. I talked with an aftermarket supplier, and he said the DG-508 is the same part as a DG-481. I am now looking at ordering the MSD Street Fire 55128 set.

I also went to the Salvage yard this PM (in the middle of a heavy snow storm) and picked a DG-508 and have now installed it. After test drive code is cleared and motor seems to be running normal again.

Thank you for your help and have a very merry Christmas.

John O.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, feels great don't it when you fix your problem, and didn't have to pay some shop $200.00 to $500.00. Use that money for Christmas presents. Keep the good coil/ coils for future problems. Nice to have it in a drawer just in case! The Chrismoose!