Replacing a 5.4 3 valve with a 5.4 2 valve engine... what would I be getting into?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Norrell

Reaction score
I have an '06 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 200K miles on it. I'm the 3rd owner and the truck has not been hurt in any way. It was bought new by an older couple and I don't think the 4WD had even been used in the 159K that was on it when I bought it. (the 2nd owner had it for only a couple of months and his wife drove it then) There is nothing wrong with the engine in it. It runs well, no problems (except gas mileage of about 14 MPG and I think that's about normal with today's fuel). I'm just thinking ahead to the day I may have to replace this engine, and with all the complaints and gripes about the 3 valve and the praises for the 2 valve, I'm thinking that a 2 valve would be the way to go. Now, would this be a direct swap, with all the electronics matching up or would it be necessary to replace the computer(s) to get all my stuff to work? What might I be getting into, time. parts and money (I'll be getting a professional mechanic to do this, I don't have the skills or experience to do this myself)??? Any information will be appreciated

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think it will be worth the money if you're gonna have someone else do the work. This will also likely require a custom shop, at the very least the PCM will need to be reprogrammed.

The primary issue with the 3V is the timing chains and associated parts. Just get the timing done before it becomes an issue and your engine should remain reliable for a long time to come if you keep up with appropriate maintenance. There is also strong suggestion around here to use 5w-30 rather than 5w-20 motor oil.

OP
OP
M

Mike Norrell

Reaction score
Thank you for your HONEST reply. It's much as I thought it would be. I've had the coils and plugs replaced since they were likely the factory originals when I got the truck. Other than a bit of front end work, tires and fluids, I've had zero problems with the vehicle...just thinking ahead and weighing my options. I appreciate your answer.

BigRed2004

Reaction score
To piggyback off of @whtbronco, I would also make sure the cam phaser filters are changed when the timing job is done. This should be part of the timing job, but you want to make sure.

When the filters get dirty there will be a notorious ‘ticking sound’ that comes from the front of the engine cover. There is much debate over this being a normal factory noise and it being the phasers.

The 3v is a good engine if taken care of and properly maintained, also as @whtbronco said.

If the 4WD hasn’t been used in a long time it may no longer work as some of the parts in the front transfer case may have seized up. If you aren’t worried about the 4WD you could always those front end components removed to help free up some weight. You won’t see a major MPG difference, but it’s freed up weight.

Enjoy the Expedition and best of luck over the years. Forum and its members will be here to help and support where we can.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
For an 06, I seriously doubt it would be worth what it would cost for the swap, as the labor alone would probably be around $2-3K, PLUS the cost of the motor, and the wiring harnesses, connectors, bolts, bushings ect PLUS the programming...and you would most likely need a new transmission too, another $3-5k.

So you're already into the $5-8K range, which would make a nice down payment on a newer model (2011-2017) without all the potential problems if the swap is not done absolutely 100% correct...

Add to that all the potential issues with the 4WD & other systems, so NO, I would recommend this plan to anyone....UNLESS you can find an EXACT IDENTICAL replacement motor...then maybe...