Replacing taillight lens and not the whole assembly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did a number on my light today, luckily it still works. Haven’t been able to find just the lens. Let me guess, it’s a sealed unit and I get to buy the whole thing...700 bucks I’ve found so far

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure its a sealed unit. Even on my 2000 its sealed. I’m not sure how bad it is but you can always try to sand and polish it out if its a scrap?!?!

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's crazy when you can buy a new tail light for a 2012 Expedition for $34 but for a 2019 Expedition which is pretty much the same size and plastic composition it cost 20 times as much and lists for over a grand. Go figure. Will this one work? Considerable less.
2018-2019 Ford Expedition Rear Right Passenger's Tail Light Lamp Assembly - Genuine OEM - JL1Z13404G | Lasco Auto Parts
LED costs a lot more.

The link you posted show a price of $249.xx, with a list price of $347.xx.

How did you determine that this lamp costs “20 times” the cost of a $34 lamp, and how did you determine that it lists for “over a grand”?

Doesn’t your link contradict what you posted?

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
Can I ask a related question? When I wash my car I've noticed twice now that the passenger rear tail light assembly clouds up, just as a bathroom mirror would after a shower. After a few minutes, the moisture dissipates and everything is fine, but for a period you can tell that there is moisture in the housing. I noticed that this only happens on one side and not the other. I also noticed that there is a small vent hole on the exterior plastic. Is this normal? Have others seen this?

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The link you posted show a price of $249.xx, with a list price of $347.xx.

How did you determine that this lamp costs “20 times” the cost of a $34 lamp, and how did you determine that it lists for “over a grand”?

Doesn’t your link contradict what you posted?

I apologize for not being clear.
Link was for incandescent light assembly for a 2019 Expedition which was much less expensive and comparison was comparing LED light assembly posted earlier in the thread for a 2019 Expedition that was listed at over a grand or 20 times the cost of a regular light assembly which you can purchase for a 2012 Expedition.
Of course the cheapest route is the red film tape I see people cover the hole on their broken lenses to satisfy legality. Looks like Fido but gets you by.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tail-light-assembly-driver-s-side-lh-jl1z13405h

Last edited:

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can I ask a related question? When I wash my car I've noticed twice now that the passenger rear tail light assembly clouds up, just as a bathroom mirror would after a shower. After a few minutes, the moisture dissipates and everything is fine, but for a period you can tell that there is moisture in the housing. I noticed that this only happens on one side and not the other. I also noticed that there is a small vent hole on the exterior plastic. Is this normal? Have others seen this?

The lens is either cracked or leaking at a seam.Normally the lens are made up of 2 or more pieces and joined together with a glue or sealant. Sometimes this can leak at the junction of the pieces if the sealant fails and it causes the condensation you see within. The vent hole was probably purposely put their to drain out the condensate. I have never tried it but have heard of remedying the leak by heating up the sealant to reseal the junction.

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
The lens is either cracked or leaking at a seam.Normally the lens are made up of 2 or more pieces and joined together with a glue or sealant. Sometimes this can leak at the junction of the pieces if the sealant fails and it causes the condensation you see within. The vent hole was probably purposely put their to drain out the condensate. I have never tried it but have heard of remedying the leak by heating up the sealant to reseal the junction.
Thanks Z- I didn't even check to see if the other rear lens had a vent hole, so I'm guessing that the small pinhole I see is "rigged" and not OEM. Great. I'm the 2nd owner, just as of last week and wonder if I would be able to have this covered by warranty. Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member