Ride Quality 18" vs 20" w/o CCD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody have any feedback on the ride quality changes going between 18" and 20" wheels if you do not have CCD?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18-inch wheels will allow for greater sidewall height. Depending on the tires selected, ride smoothness should improve. The overall tire diameter is the same for 18-, 20-, and 22-inch wheels.

OP
OP
expeditiondriver

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback; am aware of this. Was hoping for feedback from anybody who has driven Expeditions in both configurations, e.g. somebody who swapped wheels, runs two different sets, from test drives, etc.

OP
OP
expeditiondriver

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So a little more feedback - I have 18" and am thinking about getting 20" wheels. I don't have CCD, but to be honest I wish the ride was smoother on the vehicle now and had been trying to sort out if different shocks and/or CCD could be added (complicated). I run 39psi (according to display while driving around) on the 18" factory tires.

20" wheels seem to be the norm at the dealership, so it must be fine?

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the R18 tires I've seen are specified to be 35 psi cold. 39 should make the ride a bit more harsh.

We've owned three Expy's -- two XLT's and one Platinum -- and I've test driven dozens more. My first XLT had 17-inch wheels. I got an extra set of 18's and ran Summer tires on those and Winter tires on my 17's (which I still have today). The Winter tires were not as smooth riding than the Summer tires, but that was due to the tread and the fact I had them siped.

Bigger wheels won't ride as smoothly. CCD helps overcome this problem when set to "Comfort" mode (2015-17). "Normal" mode in 2018+ is not as smooth as "Comfort" was in 2015-17.

The smoothest riding trucks I've driven were all 2015-17 models with CCD set to "Comfort." We have a 2018 "Shorty" Platinum Expy with 22's and CCD. At very low speeds it rides quite smoothly, but once you get going you can feel all the little bumps in the road. In comparison, my 2017 EL XLT with 18's and Summer tires rides almost as smoothly as the 2018 with CCD in "Normal" mode.

I once test drove a 2013 EL Limited with 20-inch wheels and air ride (45K miles) and it was almost as smooth as 2015-17 models I drove that had CCD set to "Comfort" mode. Without air ride in the back though (which isn't available from the factory anymore) you will see a decrease in ride smoothness going from 18-inch wheels to 20-inch wheels. If you're not happy with the ride on your current 18's you will very likely be disappointed going bigger.

I'd recommend lowering your cold pressure to 35 psi. If that doesn't help, look for smoother riding tires. I've never seen anyone add CCD to any 2015+ truck. Not saying it isn't possible, but it could be one of the most advanced swaps I've seen yet.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you not like comfort mode in your 18 expy? Does comfort mode not ride as well in the 18s as it does in the 17s? Ill agree the 17s i driven with ccd are among the most comfy in terms of ride in any car ive been in. I dnt believe the tire sizes rele affect ride comfort much with the base springs but never driven a new expy with 18s. My now gone 18 expy on 20s had a ride of its own, amazingly smooth, balanced and compliant some days, harsh , bumpy and jittery on others. Sometimes the change btw ride affected on the same day. Never knew why. Apparently the balance ford tried to implement on the new cars was too heavily skewed towards the firm end. "If" i get another expy, i will be getting one with ccd, atleast you can change the ride somewhat unlike the base springs where you just have to deal with it. Ford needs to either lighten the springs or add air ride becuz with the new gms and jeeps coming soon, i will not tolerate "ok" ride in my next suv.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no CCD "Comfort" mode for 2018+ -- "Normal" is the softest setting. I wish Ford would allow a software upgrade to get "Comfort" mode back!

Tire sizes and model selection can make a BIG difference. In addition, I've found EL models have a slightly smoother ride due to the longer wheelbase. Our "Shorty" bounces around quite a bit while the EL is smooth and steady.

Air ride makes a HUGE difference. It's a shame Ford discontinued this option after 2013.

2015-17 trucks with CCD in "Comfort" have a "plush" ride that is smoother and more comfortable IMO than 2018 models in "Normal" mode.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no CCD "Comfort" mode for 2018+ -- "Normal" is the softest setting. I wish Ford would allow a software upgrade to get "Comfort" mode back!

Tire sizes and model selection can make a BIG difference. In addition, I've found EL models have a slightly smoother ride due to the longer wheelbase. Our "Shorty" bounces around quite a bit while the EL is smooth and steady.

Air ride makes a HUGE difference. It's a shame Ford discontinued this option after 2013.

2015-17 trucks with CCD in "Comfort" have a "plush" ride that is smoother and more comfortable IMO than 2018 models in "Normal" mode.

Normal is not the softest setting for 4th gens equipped with CCD. Eco mode is the softest setting for the 4th gens with CCD.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eco mode is no doubt big buick floaty boaty. The larger the wheel and lower the tire series number the more road imperfections feel/feedback you get. Going soft highway tire like Michelin helps some, but going smaller wheel larger tire series number the softer less road feel. Can be quieter too with the same style Michelin highway tire. The ccd for sure changes the float vs more restricted rebound feel.