RIP: 2019 expedition finally died today in the middle of the road - UPDATE blown engine @ 29k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appears Ford will be buying that engine. You have been through the drill enough with this vehicle with repairs. Trade out of it. It will probably be months for that to be rectified especially if a busy shop. IMHO. Sorry to see that happened to you.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow holy crap. I assume they give you a rental? Any reimbursements since you’re still making payments?

I’m driving a 2016 Ford Fusion 4-door that is a service loaner. No payment on my vehicle.

Earlier in 2022, it took the same Ford dealer 51 days to repair the transmission (after diagnosis) due to lack of parts availability from Ford.

The vehicle has been under a front HVAC blower motor fire safety recall since August 2022. Ford estimates the part may be available by March 2023.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like you can’t win. As much as I like the K2XX Suburban I’ve seen many guys on that side bend pushrods and wipe cams. I’m afraid to lose my condenser the most to be honest, seems like they go after 3-4 years and I’m right there. The Fords have the camphasers and coolant leaks it seems. Now blowing motors lol. Nothing is perfect. What’s left? Dodge? No thanks

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious how many of these are 2nd owner ie used with unknown history?
My 19 has been flawless however Ecoboost engines don’t take kindly to poor oil maintenance and abusive use. Then again there isn’t a single turbo engine in production that won’t be a pile of junk quickly with the stunts people pull.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The service manager showed me this today, destroyed rockers etc., will need a new enSeems like you can’t win. As much as I like the K2XX Suburban I’ve seen many guys on that side bend pushrods and wipe cams. I’m afraid to lose my condenser the most to be honest, seems like they go after 3-4 years and I’m right there. The Fords have the camphasers and coolant leaks it seems. Now blowing motors lol. Nothing is perfect. What’s left? Dodge? No thanks
Lookn' like its gonna have to be a foreign vehicle on my next purchase with 100,000 mile/10 year warranty they offer as well..

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious how many of these are 2nd owner ie used with unknown history?
My 19 has been flawless however Ecoboost engines don’t take kindly to poor oil maintenance and abusive use. Then again there isn’t a single turbo engine in production that won’t be a pile of junk quickly with the stunts people pull.
I got it new and first owner, oil changes every 5k on full syn from the dealer, but I guess I was unlucky when my engine was built.

But it does make me wonder when I got my cam phasers replaced could it have been possible the tech messed up the install?

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's one ugly rocker. Maybe the timing chain jumped? If they didn't do the tensioners or screwed them up when the phasers were replaced, that seems like a logical explanation.

Either way, hopefully since you're getting an entirely new engine it can be sourced more quickly that just waiting on parts.

Good luck.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say its pretty safe bet the cam phaser work was fd up and caused this.

Just so you know, Ford will likely get you a "remanufactured" engine, not a NEW one. They did this with my wife Navigator. Sad but true.