Rocker Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marmite

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a 2007 XLT. It's in pretty good shape apart from the rocker panels. Underneath they are rusted out but fortunately the rust isn't visible from the side.
So I am planning on cutting out the rust, and then adding a slip on rocker panel that I can screw onto the truck.
What concerns me, given my lack of experience with body work, is getting a pair of rocker panels that fit well. Can anyone recommend a good product/brand to buy?
I've wasted hours on youtube without finding really good advice on how to get the job done so any tips or links to good websites, channels would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just don't pay for the ones made out of siding gutter flashing material.
You can do that yourself cheaper.
Depends how great you want it to look. Since you will not see if unless you get under it, you could take any metal or aluminum maybe better and put a bend in it to fit.
You only need to get it flush on bottom or slight overlap that you can screw, rivet, or bond at and then ren it back to another bend or floor pan and hook it there too.

You don't need an exact fit overlay or replacement.
You can also cut the rough edges off hammer them over flat and then paint with rustoleum and then undercoat the heck out of them to make it look better than rusted jagged rockers.

x1050er

Reaction score
I got my rockers from Browns of two rivers. Complete rocker panels, cut off and weld on replacements.

Part numbers: 579A-04L and 579A-04R

These are listed for a 2006 XLT but fit my 2008 XLT perfectly.

They do offer slip ons as well

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my rockers from Browns of two rivers. Complete rocker panels, cut off and weld on replacements.

Part numbers: 579A-04L and 579A-04R

These are listed for a 2006 XLT but fit my 2008 XLT perfectly.

They do offer slip ons as well
^What this guy said. The up-to-06 rockers fit the 07+ trucks but, at least the last time I checked, nobody offers anything for the EL. Properly replacing full rockers on the EL involves buying 4 '06 rockers and cutting/splicing to get the extra length.

OP
OP
M

Marmite

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.
One more question.
The holes in the section of the body underneath that the rocker panels attach to. There are 4 round holes and then a longer circular shape.
I think that these are the cause of the rust so they need filling.
Any recommendations about what to use?
I imagine I can get some plugs at HomeDepot and online but if anyone knows some good ones I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about behind the rockers? Those would be factory holes there if it’s the inner rocker panel. 3-4 big holes per side then a series of small ones.

Plati

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.
One more question.
The holes in the section of the body underneath that the rocker panels attach to. There are 4 round holes and then a longer circular shape.
I think that these are the cause of the rust so they need filling.
Any recommendations about what to use?
I imagine I can get some plugs at HomeDepot and online but if anyone knows some good ones I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
I agree! My buddy Polarizer taught me how to do this.

I tried to buy them and tried a variety of rubber stoppers, PVC plugs and caps, black iron plugs, etc. Never found anything that fit and they also weren't cheap (I am). I'm sure there's something out there somewhere and would be interested myself. I think there are 3 different sizes, making it a little more difficult.

So I made my own out of stuff laying around (free). Also, doing it this way I could make the exact size I wanted since there are a variety of different sized and shaped openings. I did go to Dollar Store and buy little toy balls that work pretty well (a buck apiece). For others I used foam (pipe insulation) that I cut to length and rolled up, giving me the diameter and length I wanted then skinned with Gorilla Tape. Easy to make. Work perfectly, durable. You can compress the plug, fit it in 1/2 way, and it expands and gets stuck solidly in place. I think I could start a business making these things if I was entrepreneurial, but very few people have any interest in saving their rockers anyway.

The oblong shapes where running boards attach, I just jammed the foam in there as best I could. That area was tough. I Fluid Filmed the inside first.

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

I really feel like if you cleaned the area really well first, you could just apply Gorilla Tape over the hole. I generally over engineer my stuff so I wanted the bulletproof plug. A lot of Ford Trucks come with tape over those holes (that falls off after a few years) - so you know that Ford knows those holes should be covered or plugged.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/duct-tape-rocker-panels-really-99420/

Last edited:

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Hello,
Having read the F-150 forum post, I had the same questions that were discussed here. The bottom line here seems to be that these holes should be covered.
Maybe I should have posted here, though I tried to reply to the thread, "Question about factory rocker panel holes" first.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

If I am breaking any posting etiquette, please feel free to guide me to a better way.

Plati

Reaction score
Hello,
Having read the F-150 forum post, I had the same questions that were discussed here. The bottom line here seems to be that these holes should be covered.
Maybe I should have posted here, though I tried to reply to the thread, "Question about factory rocker panel holes" first.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

If I am breaking any posting etiquette, please feel free to guide me to a better way.
Not sure what your question is .... ?

Easiest, cheapest, quickest way to plug the holes is with one of those pool noodles.
Can cut & trim to any size quickly.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Inno-Wave-...Vj8DICh1gZQG3EAQYAyABEgIQxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

they don't cost much
even better ... steal one from a kid in a pool
:chewie:

Last edited:

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Hi MrSticker,
Thanks for the reply!
Sorry I wasn't clear.
Should these holes be covered? - This thread seems to say, "Yes".
Is it OK to cover them with aluminum flashing and liquid nails?

Additionally, I would love some feedback on my other post (Question about factory rocker panel holes). Am I on the right track in addressing this problem on my Expedition?