Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colin MacRae

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new here and looking for info regarding the use if roof top tents with the factory roof rack.
I have a 2017 Platinum Expy i'd like to install a Smittybilt Overlander XL roof top tent.

The roof rack info in the manual says no more than 200 lbs evenly distributed. This should be dynamic or travelling weight limit.
I can't seem to find static weight limits anywhere.
If anyone has used an RTT with an expy i'd love to here how it went for you??

https://www.4wheelparts.ca/Outdoor-...tl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_pDetail_productSpecs

Cterrebl

Reaction score
@LTE_CTS_Motors - about how many people or how much weight did you have in the tent? I'm about to pull the trigger on a RTT myself and not sure if I need to upgrade my roof rack.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most factory roof racks will not support the weight of these roof tents with people in them. I believe I saw 200lbs above, I’m not exactly sure of the roof weight limit on these,I’m sure you can google it. But these tents tent to be approximately 100lbs dry, so a bit sketchy to throw yourself or family up there with an additional 2-3-400lbs, and expect it to hold up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni