Rough start/idle low. Problems???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric_in_tx

Reaction score
Ok, so went to start the Expedition up and it did not start. Turned over, sounded starved for gas then died. Did that twice. Third time it started and runs fine once it is started. The idle however is around 500 rpm, in gear with the engine warmed up. This to me seems low. I was thinking for some reason that the RPM on a 5.4L was around 750 rpm. MAF sensor? Spark plugs?
Engine just turned 88,100 miles.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you checked fuel pressure?

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

OP
OP
eric_in_tx

eric_in_tx

Reaction score
Runs great once you get going. And it isn't even cold here (it never gets cold in south texas). I just got it so really have no idea on fuel filter. I was going to do the easy (ie inexpensive) stuff first. Replace fuel and air filter just to be safe and see how it goes.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine idles at 500 RPM in gear with the A/C on and it runs great. On cold startup it idles at 1200 for a couple of seconds then drops to 750 and within about 30 seconds to 500.

blue oval guy

Reaction score
500 rpm is not abnormally low, mine is about the same in gear. Go thru the basics - plugs, air & fuel filters, add a bottle of Chevron Pro-gard injector cleaner to a full tank of gas and give it a good run, high speed 80-90 mph wide open throttle to clear her out a little. good luck bud.