Roush Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
07xln is correct on the intakes. The better a motor can breathe the more power can be made but it must be retuned to run with the higher volume of air to be effective. An intake and tune allowing higher airflow volume doesn’t always translate to decreased longevity. You can still filter the air the same while grabbing more. Remember half the benefits of a tune aren’t just the power gains but the throttle response and shift points as well. An intake and tune can yield +30ish Horsepower on a N/A engine but imo the real improvements lie in the drive by wire and throttle response as well as the shifting. More horsepower can be added on forced induction motors. Aftermarket companies do indeed spend tons on R&D as they don’t want to make a bad name for themselves... they are in the business to stay and make money.

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07xln is correct on the intakes. The better a motor can breathe the more power can be made but it must be retuned to run with the higher volume of air to be effective. An intake and tune allowing higher airflow volume doesn’t always translate to decreased longevity. You can still filter the air the same while grabbing more. Remember half the benefits of a tune aren’t just the power gains but the throttle response and shift points as well. An intake and tune can yield +30ish Horsepower on a N/A engine but imo the real improvements lie in the drive by wire and throttle response as well as the shifting. More horsepower can be added on forced induction motors. Aftermarket companies do indeed spend tons on R&D as they don’t want to make a bad name for themselves... they are in the business to stay and make money.

Yep, just changing the cold air intake (and/or exhaust) is unlikely to do much by itself. Higher RPMs and higher boost mean more internal stress on the internals. And, of course, the 10R80 is continuously adaptive as far as shift points. I'm more interested in mileage and longevity, so tuning really doesn't interest me. I'm more than happy with the power in my new rig.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most automatic transmissions built within the last 20 years are continuously adaptive, they aren’t programmed to be the most aggressive. I agree, they are plenty powerful stock.

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First gear in the 10-speed is 4.70:1, versus 4.17:1 in the 6-speed. Maybe that's why the 2018 feels so quick. Interesting that 10th is .64:1, versus .67:1 in the old one, so not that much taller.

It's kinda funny to see people talk about spending money to tune a 6000# SUV. There are better options to go faster, handle better, etc.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to stick with what Ford Delivers to us, I do not believe the Aftermarket spends "Ton" of money on R&D compared to the car companies. I would have to think Ford delivers the right balance of HP, Fuel Economy, and Long Term Reliability, as they have to answer to the Customer and EPA, etc. If they could get reliable more hp an FE in this competitive industry they would.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First gear in the 10-speed is 4.70:1, versus 4.17:1 in the 6-speed. Maybe that's why the 2018 feels so quick. Interesting that 10th is .64:1, versus .67:1 in the old one, so not that much taller.

It's kinda funny to see people talk about spending money to tune a 6000# SUV. There are better options to go faster, handle better, etc.

It is interesting that the final gear is almost the same on the 4 speed, 6 speed, and 10 speeds. In fact I’ve heard the old 4 speed actually has a taller final gear than the 6 speed.

Last edited:

BlackedOutMax

Reaction score
The second you put an aftermarket intake on it, for going to screw our air to fuel ratio up and then you will need to spend an additional $400-$600 on a tuner to correct your increased air volume. So $1000 total if you wanna run an aftermarket intake and get the most out of it.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is interesting that the final gear is almost the same on the 4 speed, 6 speed, and 10 speeds. In fact I’ve heard the old 4 speed actually has a taller final gear than the 6 speed.

It is not just the top gear ratio. The small steps within the spread keep the engine in a sweet spot with respect to RPM/Torque/hp. The modern 8 and 10 Speed RWD AT's have only two open/dragging clutches in any gear. These AT's have very low viscosity oils and today's torque converters that are basically locked all the time once you are rolling and stay locked. Also in a vehicle with a long prop shaft, such as an Expy Max, you do not want to be spinning that monster prop shaft too much faster than the engine,,,,,imbalance

My $0.02

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not just the top gear ratio. The small steps within the spread keep the engine in a sweet spot with respect to RPM/Torque/hp. The modern 8 and 10 Speed RWD AT's have only two open/dragging clutches in any gear. These AT's have very low viscosity oils and today's torque converters that are basically locked all the time once you are rolling and stay locked. Also in a vehicle with a long prop shaft, such as an Expy Max, you do not want to be spinning that monster prop shaft too much faster than the engine,,,,,imbalance

My $0.02
I guess, the 6 speed annoys me a bit I prefer the older 4 speed in the 2nd gen trucks. I think it was a better performer for everyday stuff, Lot less shifting and it seemed to start from a stop faster. Not to mention the 4 speed will outlast the 6 and 10 speeds.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess, the 6 speed annoys me a bit I prefer the older 4 speed in the 2nd gen trucks. I think it was a better performer for everyday stuff, Lot less shifting and it seemed to start from a stop faster. Not to mention the 4 speed will outlast the 6 and 10 speeds.

Looks like the 2nd generation top gear was .70:1. First gear was 2.84:1, as opposed to 4.70:1 in the new one. Wanna race?