Roush Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the 2nd generation top gear was .70:1. First gear was 2.84:1, as opposed to 4.70:1 in the new one. Wanna race?

Nope, merely speaking my observations. Not downing the 10 speed just saying the 4 speed is nicer to drive than the 6R80. Until you floor the 6 speed it seems outperformed by its predecessor. I haven’t driven a 10 speed quite enough to compare but I drive my 6 speed and others everyday and have driven plenty of 4 speeds over the years and I prefer the 4. It’s not that it lacks power maybe it’s just the extra gears bother me. Anyway I agree with you guys on the intake, while I wouldn’t be afraid of one I get it.

Last edited:

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to hijack from the cold intake topic, but I feel the same, my 4L60's in my Suburban's were better than my 6L90 in the Denali's. The 10 Speeds actually have fewer parts than the 6 Speeds they replace. Being a GM kind of guy, drove both the GM and Ford 10 Speed which are basically the same, Ford lead the development of the 10 Speed. Shift calibration in my mind on factor that brought me to the Ford family. The Ford will skip gears (as the GM will) when needed and the calibration is spot on that you have to watch the gear position indicator to even notice most all shifts

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting comments
I would like to share my experiences with the 4 previous ECOBOOST vehicles I have owned
I have always considered the factory calibrations somewhat lackluster
I have always used LMS calibrations to upgrade my vehicles
It dramatically improves throttle response, usually drops 0-60 times by over a second & overall driveability feel is much better
I have never added any aftermarket parts such as exhaust, intake etc
As far as I am concerned the cost of the exhaust & intake parts is mostly wasted since I achieved everything I desired in the way of performance without them
I just purchased a 2018 EXPY & I think the factory calibration is very lackluster when it comes to throttle response etc
Plan to recalibrate it as soon as I can find suitable software from a reputable tuner:33::33::33:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, merely speaking my observations. Not downing the 10 speed just saying the 4 speed is nicer to drive than the 6R80. Until you floor the 6 speed it seems outperformed by its predecessor. I haven’t driven a 10 speed quite enough to compare but I drive my 6 speed and others everyday and have driven plenty of 4 speeds over the years and I prefer the 4. It’s not that it lacks power maybe it’s just the extra gears bother me. Anyway I agree with you guys on the intake, while I wouldn’t be afraid of one I get it.

Do not under any circumstances drive the 2018. It blew the doors off my 2008, and I'm certain that it would cream the 4-speed as well. Remember that the 10 speed skips gears when appropriate, so the response is very impressive.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting comments
I would like to share my experiences with the 4 previous ECOBOOST vehicles I have owned
I have always considered the factory calibrations somewhat lackluster
I have always used LMS calibrations to upgrade my vehicles
It dramatically improves throttle response, usually drops 0-60 times by over a second & overall driveability feel is much better
I have never added any aftermarket parts such as exhaust, intake etc
As far as I am concerned the cost of the exhaust & intake parts is mostly wasted since I achieved everything I desired in the way of performance without them
I just purchased a 2018 EXPY & I think the factory calibration is very lackluster when it comes to throttle response etc
Plan to recalibrate it as soon as I can find suitable software from a reputable tuner:33::33::33:

The calibrations are likely the way they are in order to improve economy. I'm cool with that. The truck is remarkably quick when I want it to be.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not under any circumstances drive the 2018. It blew the doors off my 2008, and I'm certain that it would cream the 4-speed as well. Remember that the 10 speed skips gears when appropriate, so the response is very impressive.

Haha already have driven the 18’. Still kind of keeps the rpms low like the 6R80 when you start rolling until you get into it. Same issue, it seems like that on most of these modern vehicles must be for the efficiency. Nothing wrong with it, I just notice it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
JExpedition, we seem to think the same. I preferred the 4 speed to the 6 also. But then I'm a dinosaur who likes the V-8 too. But the technology is absolutely cool. This is the first I heard that the 10 speed can skip gears. That's great.

As far as those air intakes go, OEM manufacturers probably do some restricting for sound deadening, and that $400 bolt-on aftermarket thing may get you some extra air. It was easier in the old days to just flip over the air cleaner lid.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha already have driven the 18’. Still kind of keeps the rpms low like the 6R80 when you start rolling until you get into it. Same issue, it seems like that on most of these modern vehicles must be for the efficiency. Nothing wrong with it, I just notice it.

You can always shift it manually, which is kinda cool.

3Fords1Vette

Reaction score
I have read all of the posts. They are very informative.

Did anyone decide to do the cold air intake?

Did anyone decide to look at the options and or make any improvements to their power/performance?

Thanks!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed in this debate on performance that the most obvious "bang per buck" has been overlooked. Most of our students utilize this wonder product when they start our program. Their cars and trucks are plastered with them. At this point you are probably wondering the product is......

Decals & stickers - Summit and Jegs are good for 20 hp each... The other brands run between 5-10 hp. Put a K&N sticker on and your airflow almost doubles.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djahmed786