Rumbling Noise when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peak11

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition E.B. 4x4. When I start from a dead stop, accelerate with some vigor and turn at the same time, I hear and feel a rumbling in the front wheels. Is this normal? It has 3000 miles. Does it have something to do with the 4x4?
any help would be appreciated.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have the dealer check out the front clutch pack in the differential. There is a TSB for it.

G

Yep....take it in. Mine is in the shop now again at 9K miles getting the diff clutches changed yet again. There is now a "new" fix an updated one from the last revision. Hopefully the 3 time is a charm. Make sure your dealer gets you the latest fix.

How is your brake dust on the front wheels?

good luck!

OP
OP
P

Peak11

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am not familiar with TSB. Please advise.
thanks.
I am going to take it to Ford this weekend.
John

G

I've got my 2003 Expedition in the shop right now for a 5000 mile service and also because I too have the rumbling noise when turning at low speeds. I saw someone post that it felt like running over a cattle guard...I think that is the best way to describe it. Anyway...the dealer kept it overnight because they too felt the sensation...got it up on the rack and couldn't find anything. Does anybody know the exact TSB (and by the way, what does TSB stand for?) so I can pass this info onto my dealer. This is Phil Long Ford in Colorado Springs.

Thanks.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FORD EXPY TSB's FOR 03

Just FYI,

Here is a list of current posted TSB's for the 03 Expedition. This info is courtesy of ALLDATA. The specific TSB you are looking for is 03-6-4 published in Mar 03. This will let the Ford Techs know what to look for and the fix action i.e. the clutchs in the differential. Good luck.

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
03-15-1 AUG 03 Rear Window Defroster - Inoperative
03-14-8 JUL 03 A/T - Cooler Flushing Service Tips
03-14-4 JUL 03 Ignition System - Engine Misfire Diagnostic Tips
03-13-2 JUL 03 Air Suspension - DTC's C1990/C1990 Diagnosis
03-13-4 JUL 03 Interior - 2nd Row Seat Frame Rusting
03-11-10 JUN 03 Body - Moonroof Water Leaks/Won't Open Properly
03-11-6 JUN 03 Electrical - Wiring Soldering/Crimping Tips
03-9-1 MAY 03 Drive Axle - Halfshaft/Differential Separation Procedure
03-9-8 MAY 03 Emissions - MIL ON/EVAP System DTC's Set
03-9-7 MAY 03 Interior - Climate-Controlled Seat Shuts OFF too Soon
03-8-3 APR 03 Engine - Oil Level Indicator Markings
03-7-1 APR 03 Body - Water Leak From Roof Opening Panel
03-6-4 MAR 03 Drivetrain - 4X4 Front Axle Noise in 2 High Only
02-23-7 NOV 02 Cooling System - Premium Gold Coolant Service Info
02-21-1 OCT 02 A/T - Torque Converter Access Plug Dislodges
02-21-13 OCT 02 Engine - Cylinder Head Straightedge Surface Check
02-20-8 OCT 02 A/C System - Diagnosis and Service Tips
02-17-6 SEP 02 A/T - Inadvertent Shift Interlock Disabling
02-16-4 AUG 02 Audio System - Whining/Buzzing Noise From Speakers

powderhounder

Reaction score
Just had the cluch packs replaced on my '03 at 18000 miles. Took the dealer all day, but it drives like new now. Dealer didn't give me a hassle either. Service manager drove the truck and before pulling out of the parking lot said it sounded like the rear diff clutch pack. He order the parts on a Monday and I brought the truck in on Thursday, took the shop about 8 hours to complete.

G

Has anybody had or heard of the same issue for 04 Expys? I thought it was rough pavement but it sounds like what everybody else is describing