Running board lightsStock yellowish light to brite white

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Got this from another Ford board.
Tired of the yellowish lights on the running boards?
Yea I know...never thought about it.
After looking at the yellowish light I'm going with bright whites.
I just ordered some PIAA platinum white bulbs.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let us know how they look...but one word of warning...I have seen on the other boards some people complain that the brighter (and higher wattage?) bulbs burn/discolor the plastic lens. Hope that does not happen to you!

OP
OP
G

Originally posted by rwinch
Let us know how they look...but one word of warning...I have seen on the other boards some people complain that the brighter (and higher wattage?) bulbs burn/discolor the plastic lens. Hope that does not happen to you!

I don't know what the stock bulb wattage is but the PIAA's I bought are 5 watts.I should be fine but thanks for your concern.:)

OP
OP
G

15 minute install.
On my '99 one screw on each end of the running board lets the cover down enough to change the bulbs.
A piece of cake!
No sign of corrosion in the sockets too!

The PIAA platinum's light up white with a slight blue tint.Noyellowish light!
It's daytime.Looking forward to see how they light at night.
You can slightly see the blue bulb through the lens during the day.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wasn't there a recall on these? Check NHTSA website and they will tell you if they have been recalled. In fact there is. Any Models manufactured between Aug 2000 and early this year by Southern Comfort Conversions is eligible. Don't know if this helps but is good info for anyone else. Check it out.

NHTSA Website

magic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running board lights

I have just bought a 1999 EB and the running board lights dont seem to work. When is it supposed to come on?

any info would be appreciated.

thank you

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the lights come on, on the running board when the door is opened, the buttons on the remote are pushed and when the keyless entry buttons are pushed. you mght want to check and replace all your bulbs and then see if it works and if not you might have a blown fuse

magic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to check the bulbs and the fuses as when the door is opened the lights do not come on now.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it is a blown fuse i would start looking for a wire that has bare wire shown because that is what caused the fuse to blow i would fix that first and change out the fuse and it should work if the fuse was blown

magic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuse seems to be the same one as the door lights. The door lights work so I guess it could be the bulbs. any idea how these are replaced?